Voltage is all over the Dash!!!

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dash volt gauge is bouncing all over at idle. Once the truck get warm, and running down the hwy, steady at 22 hondo rpm's. It sit's still 3/4 range of normal. Bigest concern I have is at night. The lights tend to flicker all the time. At idle it is most visible, but still can see it at running RPM's. Been told might be Glow Plugs? Anybody know? or Have any ideas?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the glow plug relay clicking ON/OFF, it can do that for up to 2 minutes, you should be able to hear itif you open the hood, or feel it, lay your hand on it while running, won't hurt ya. It could be a short someplace, bare wire grounding out, possible from the fan air blowing on it.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!

If the problem seems to be systemic, as in, all electrical stuff versus just gauges or headlights, I would start at the batt terminals and work your way back. Terminals and cables must be in tip-top shape. Then look at the bunch of wires that take + from the starter relay 'hot' post. Make sure the alternator and (if separate, not sure on your year) voltage regulator have good connections, too. That's where I'd start...

And the glow plugs only help you when starting up a cold engine. Any other time, they shouldn't be energized (all though there is a short after-glow period after a cold start).

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought this rig from a buddy, he put thousand miles on it . While he had it he had all sorts of starting issues. Replaced batteries, starter, alt, relay, several times in the short period he had it. I did replace the terminal connecters becuase they hacked them up at the battery. They had fold the wires back that wouldnt fit in the terminal post. I did alot of clean up, cut out the wires for the aux tank that was pulled out and wires grounding out on the fire wall:dunno . So you think maybe Im grounding somewhere else still?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Sounds like either a wire grounding out or a bad connection somewhere. Do some experimenting and see if you determine exactly what all is affected. Otherwise, you can do like I just did; unhook and remove batts, and spend several dozen hours testing EVERY circuit with a meter...FUN! LOL

p.s.-- if you go the meter route, make sure your DOORS are closed hehe...backfeed through the dome light was freaking me out until I remembered door switches :rolleyes:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in here...

First of all Welcome to Oilburners....the best place for info on these trucks...if you gotta problem..it's been handled here already...These guys are sharper n tacks!

This is something I mylself observe on my rig, I get in turn on key, (Wait to start) WTS light comes on gauge is flickering, tap throttle to floor turn key and vroom...starts..but still gauge is flicky all over and takes a while to stabalize. I too have the dull headlight at idle but all good when running...it's inherent in the model of truck we have, the alternator does not produce high current at idle like a more modern 3G can.

Take a look in the FAQ's...up in the pink section at top... and the Tech articles, there is some good info in there...also I think there are some 3 G how too's also.. I'll be swapping to 3G soon enough!

Again welcome....and take lots of pics...we love pics....Or maybe I should say I love pics!

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks RiotWorrior, this forum has been way better so far than the other one Im on, cuz Im not a STORKER. I had a 89 f150 and had the same issues, i figured it was a Model problem more than a truck problem. Trying to get things squared before i put in the pyro and and turn the pump.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the OP seems to have screwed up a lot of stuff, check every grounding point they get rusty ans rust don't carry the current. Start at the battery Neg post to the engine ground wire on both batteries, there is a ground at each headlight also, and the short ground wire to the front clip.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I know When I had this problem the voltage reg was loseing ground. voltage reg should be on the passenger fenderwell. while I was at it I would also remove and clean all other grounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online