video of the 94 start up

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's the video of the 94 starting, I stopped cranking it cause the 86 usually starts by then. I had an idea of how crappy the sound was gonna be in the fender, but I didn't know it was gonna be so distorted.so sorry about that. I was trying to see if you guys could hear anything weird. No do overs on a cold start. maybe next time I'll put some toilet paper over the microphone or something. It's about 30 and it hasn't been started in 5 days. note the GPs clicking. I think I might wanna go with the manual switch for this reason, IDK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHr-P5N6TD8 plug your ears and turn the volume up when I go to the fender. May or may not work

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a dead glow plug. They only stayed on about 6-7 seconds dead cold like that. Normally it would be a lot longer with the solid state system at around 30*, say 12-15 seconds. It's probably the one under the turbo, by Murphy's Law. Now the other thing that jumps out at me is you had no smoke out the exhaust at all until the second attempt, so maybe you have a weak lift pump or some return leaks, that wouldn't help you out any.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was definitely going to point out the lack of smoke coming out of the tail pipe. When my truck was really cold and my glow plugs dead it would smoke like a freight train till it started. Im thinking something fuel related, might have a leak in your return lines.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
A lot of cranking for only 30f, how are the glow plugs? How old are the return lines.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will take the turbo air filter assy. off tomorrow. Among other things.I have (it has) been good to me, the manual GP system.------------I want to switch my 94 over to that. BTW 87-91 Solid state GP (oem) controller for sale. I think.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's probably worth just fixing the 87-94 GP system if there's ever a possibility somebody else might drive the truck or you might take it in for service. Either that or go all the way and replace all the glows with 12 volt plugs and the spade harness. With constant 12v to 6v plugs you are one slight mistake away from burning GPs out, and if they aren't ZD9s or some other premium glow plug, maybe only a few more seconds away from having to pull the heads and dig swollen and busted GP tips out.

sootman73

Reaction score
Stay with the solid state. its the best system and your plugs will seriously last forever. i think its a combination of a few bad glowplugs and fuel leakdown. not so much the smoke timing but that it didn't even hiccup and then it started all of a sudden.... next time crank until smoke appears and the re-cycle the glow plugs. i bet it'll fire off right away...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the throttle position for that first crank? Sounds like it might be spinning just a tad slow, but Lady Moose sounds like that and she starts right up. The smoke during the second crank is definitely indicative of a glow plug problem. Your cylinders are just not hot enough to burn the fuel that is available. In all likelyhood your starting on compression heat.