Vibration after Single Mass Install

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
I installed a single mass flywheel and clutch in my 7.3. When the engine gets lugged down below idle speed when taking off I get a bad vibration which goes away as soon as my RPMs reach 1000 or so. Any ideas? It runs and drives great otherwise.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
here is an idea....
keep the rpms above 1000.

Seriously, we put one in a truck and there is always a little more vibration, but I mean, that was a huge part of why a dual mass was used in the first place.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
mine does the same ,you have to give it more fuel to take off .It might be one of the down sides of a solid flywheel

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes the same vibration, with a nice growl. I like the sound, makes it sound beefy. I believe its called gear rollover, and its from the gears in the trans vibrating from the intense power spikes of the diesel engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gear rollover noise with a ZF is a standard "feature" when you convert to a single mass flywheel. Some have combatted it with alternate lubricants and over-filling. I jam 2 gallons of 30wt. non-detergent motor oil in mine, and it does help a bit. You'll eventually learn to live with it. It doesn't harm anything. Just think, if the ZF had been cast iron with 90wt gear oil in it, it wouldn't do this. :dunno Really makes you wonder why they spent probably years of engineering time building the DMF at a cost of who knows how much, when they could have just as easily spec'ed a different trans. cookoo