Valve Stem Seals

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have now completed the work on my 83 6.9. I used the Felpro SS72628-1 which contains 8 intake seals and 8 exhaust (umbrella) shields. Also got the Felpro equivalent for Clevite B45607 which contains 12 (hat) oil shields, used on the intakes. Followed the advice of others in this thread and did both the intakes and exhaust.

On the passenger side, had to remove the heater to get at the back two cylinders. Valve cover gasket was leaking because the original bolts had phillips screw heads and were not torqued enough - replaced them with hex head bolts. Used an overhead spring compressor, and was able to access every valve except the back one against the firewall (exhaust) on the driver's side. Used an air compressor to hold the valves, but the pressure maxed out at 20 psi - same on every cylinder - it was a small compressor, so I assume it was a slow leak through the gaps in the rings or around the valves. Was very careful when replacing the springs not to bang or force the valve stems.

I found that I was not able to get the umbrella exhaust shields over the valve stems once they were placed in the holder at the top of the spring - the compression of the fit in the holder narrowed the i.d. enough to make it tight, and as I noted above I was being careful not to push down ******* the valve stems. So instead, I reamed the umbrella shields slightly to get a smooth fit. I didn't have the same problem with the small hat shields on the intakes.

This was my first diesel engine project, and after having taken out and replaced so many moving parts, I was afraid that when I tried to start the truck, I would hear horrible noises and puffs of smoke. To my great pleasure and relief, it started and ran, and actually has a cleaner exhaust, which was the original goal of the project. :)

Best of luck with your project.

Great to hear, I've gotta get off my duff & get mine done!

jdb

Reaction score
For the record, here's a photo of the felpro parts I used: left to right: intake oil seal, exhaust oil shield, intake oil shield

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online