V6 F-150 no cats

medwards29

Construction Project Manager
Reaction score
ok so back to what i was trying to accomplish, so i sat on my porch the other day and i listened to my truck run for a little while. If you listen to it it sounds like it has an over-sized cam in it. It sounds like a drag car sitting in idle. Yes sometimes the motor dies, but when drag cars idle low enough and lose back pressure they die too. Now could the fact that the cats being empty cause such a loss in back-pressure to where the motor is hardly running, causing the oil pump to run slow, causing the oil pressure gauge to giggle? That is my hypothesis, any thoughts on why that couldn't be? If this is the fact, should I even bother with it or should i go ahead and buy some high flow cats for it? Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. :)

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you cant find a vac leak, you need to have someone with a real scan tool look at it.

medwards29

Reaction score
ok, I'm going to take it to my uncle at the ford dealership and get a full diag from him. It's only like 36 bucks so wth.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
OK. you want advice. and some direction. The missing cat has NOTHING to do with your oil pressure. And the 5w-30 oil is what ford says to run in the v6.

Why did you put oil pump and bearings in, in the first place? An oiling issue? Sound like you still have an issue. Did you mic the crank to see if it was within spec? What size bearings did you put in?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. you want advice. and some direction. The missing cat has NOTHING to do with your oil pressure. And the 5w-30 oil is what ford says to run in the v6.

Why did you put oil pump and bearings in, in the first place? An oiling issue? Sound like you still have an issue. Did you mic the crank to see if it was within spec? What size bearings did you put in?

it takes 5w20 motor oil, not 5w30, he never put bearings in, where did you come up with this?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so did you ever find out what codes you had in this? also, the oil pump only pumps oil, the cam, rod and main bearings are what sets oil pressure. im still wondering if your trk is idling to low, cause if your trk is idling to low, it will quit, and it will have low oil pressure. what does the factory say your idle is supposed to be. have you tried to adjust the idle up a little bit and see if it makes a difference?

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine does idle at 3-500, that is slow enough to give you a low oil psi reading. So get the idle problem fixed so that it idles at 800 or so, your oil psi reading should be normal.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
it takes 5w20 motor oil, not 5w30, he never put bearings in, where did you come up with this?

My bad . You are right. thought he said in prior post he put bearings in. I was wrong. But he has been battling low oil pressure for almost a year? And every time someone suggest a solution, he does his own thing anyway:dunno

And if he is using 5/30 instead of the thinner 5/20 he should have higher readings

medwards29

Reaction score
ok first of all i am using 5w-30 because that is what the manual says to use, my truck is idling low causing low oil pressure and causing it to die. I have already tried to adjust idle speed but the cable connector is unadjustable and is fixed so I can't, unless there is a special way to do it. I think it is all computerized. I haven't even had this account for a year, and i never put bearings in my truck. Like I said it ran fine til i removed cats. I think it is supposed to idle at 800 RPM's.
And in case anyone was wondering or cant read, I removed my cats because they got clogged and blew my EGR tube off the header and broke it. My motor was just torn down and had new lifters put in and the motor still looks like it came out of the factory. The lifters was unnecessary because I came to realization that ford motor are just loud in general but I installed them anyway because they were new and nice :).

medwards29

Reaction score
yes my truck actually sounds just like that ranger, except when put in drive it barely runs when sitting still, but roars as soon as u hit the gas.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I vote vacuumn leak.Since you tore down the engine I suspect those crappy lines and connectors ford uses are leaking or cracked.I would just replace all the lines and elbows and inspect any hard to get or expensive parts for damage under magnification.Don't forget to put a little(KEY TERM LITTLE!) side pressure to see if any clean cracks spread apart.

medwards29

Reaction score
ok, I going to just have my uncle check the vacuum system since hes more experienced, and i'll ask about turning the idle speed up.

medwards29

Reaction score
Ok i did some more research on this and what I have found out is that the little elbow piece on the vacuum line around the egv valve area is notorious for cracking. Also I found 3 guys on ford enthusiasts that have the exact same problem as me and it was because of bad injectors, that would explain why my # 3 cylinder misfires at times because I already changed sparks and wires. Also the 4.2L is notorious for having the lower intake gasket go bad, and I already had that changed a while back so I know thats good. I have no coolant loss or any liquid leaks what so ever, that is one thing about truck that makes me happy :). So what I'm going to do is put some performance injectors in it, get a vacuum check from Ford, and turn up idle speed to idle at 1000-1500, because exhaust sounds sweet at that speed, lol. This should eliminate my issues, thank you all for your thoughts and opinions I will post again and hopefully it will be news of being fixed, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online