Uh oh autolites

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when I thought back to the words uttered by the PO "we just put in new glow plugs" I figured there was a 95% chance they were autolites. Well finally got around to checking today and yup there they were, pulled 2, one was already swollen but came out ok, the other was normal. Only had 2 ZD-9's on hand and went ahead and switched them, got 6 more coming. Just once I would like to find a non autolite GP in a new (old) diesel. every VW I ever owned had them too. I bet my new (to me) mercedes diesel will have them too, LOL. Well maybe that will be too exotic of a GP.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your lucky they are not so swollen they wont come out. Really would like to know whay they fail the way they do and the motorcraft usually don't fail that way..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had a set of Delphi's in it. They worked fine and did not swell(But I putt in the Beru ones anyway).

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delphi seems to be ok, I may try a set on the dually.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GPs stopped working. Tested 4 and they were bad, so I stopped testing and replaced all 8 with Berus. Unsurprisingly, I pulled out Autolites. What did surprise me, was they all came out as easy as any, and they were all Autolites instead of some one and some another brand.

The PO of my truck was the type who would maintain anything broken, but ONLY what's broken. He installed half of a return line kit for hell sake.

All the Autolites were just swollen enough to see, but not enough to cause any removal issues. I'm just lucky they went out before swelling.

Reaction score
All the horror stories about GPs always makes me happy the previous owner on my truck was as negligent as he was. Mine had the originals in it; they didn't work, but they came right out.

Mike

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well switched them out today with no issues, only one was swollen a couple others were sort of warped but came out fine. Now I'll ask you guys if this is normal. The wts light stays on a for 7 seconds on an engine that's been sitting a couple hours then after another few seconds it clicks off. if I cycle them again it will do the same thing but will click off and on 4 or times. Normal?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle