turn signal switch

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it common for them to break? i can still use mine but it has to be held toward the engine and then it will work and then you gotta do the same to turn it back off.

should i look for a different column or easy fix

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any tips what to use for search terms on the big rig turn signal?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
"Universal turn signal switch" will bring up quite a few.

I remember I had the same problem with running the wires through the column on my chevy. I think I used a coat hanger.
Then the plug wasn't right, so I cut both plugs and spliced the wires.
Or maybe I still cut the plug first before fishing the wires through. :dunno
Been too long ago.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys mine had already broke before I bought the truck where I had to turn it off

It seems like in the column there's a round part the rod goes threw and say the back side broke off and allowing the signal rod to fall out... I figured I'd take it apart and look and then maybe glue something back it???? Guess ill see

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the switch on my 84. It was easy. I went to the salvage yard and grabbed 2 of them. I took them up to the counter and the guy said "Take em". No charge!!!! ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a detent piece on my 89 that can go bad, which holds the lever in the proper place. The Help! section used to carry them. It's separate from the switch.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Brand new switches are available from LMC and some other places, not a lot of money. The only bad part is having to take out all of the wires and plug them back in if you have a tilting wheel.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I also need to change mine, but not due to blinkers not working, but because my intermittent speeds on the windshield wipers don't work.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I also need to change mine, but not due to blinkers not working, but because my intermittent speeds on the windshield wipers don't work.

Your switch is much different tho, nothing even close to what the slants and bricks use. That said, it may not be an issue w/ the switch at all - IIRC there are some solder joints on the circuit board of the wiper controls module that are known for cracking and killing the interval wipers.

IIRC, popping the parking brake has a big affect on those solder joints.

On my 94, it does the same thing with the wipers. But I think I just need to pull it apart and clean all the contacts (If possible), because I can finagle the switch to get them to work. Everything was so dusty when I got it, even the cluster is filled with dust.

I agree as to just replace the switch. Piece of mind knowing you wont be worrying about some cheap fix lasting.

If all else fails, you could just use hand signal's. LOL

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I know ts the switch, because I 'cam' use the intermittent speeds if I constantly wiggle the switch around while its set.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several years ago (maybe 10+) I had to replace my signal switch...something 'plastic' inside broke and for a 'right-turn' I had to manually hold the 'lever-up'
At that time, I had to get the part from Ford, it was close to +$80.00 :puke: couldn't believe I had to spend all that money because of a tired-out little, white piece of plastic!

'Tilt wheel' and not much fun to replace as I recall I had to use a 'pin removal/connector tool' to release each wire from the connection block...then...fish the 'pigtail' of wires down the column THEN make sure each wire was back in the proper connector-block location before I could reconnect it to the harness down under the dash.

Since the above experience...I'll use my turn-signal at the last minute and for the most part NEVER let it full 'click' into the 'locked' position > cause I don't want it to break again.:rolleyes:

Thinking back...I'm guessing the 'cost' of the unit from Ford, was what really sucked.

Last edited:

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like it's only a pain in the neck with tilt wheels, how about on non tilt? mine work, just have to hold it for the right signal to work. nothing major or too troublesome. i had the column out already, seemed like all the wires were runoutside the column IIRC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online