Turbo Tuesday.

middaymidnight

Reaction score
Is anyone running a bw s256 on an Idi. I'm thinking about swapping one onto my banks kit but wanted to hear anyone's expirence a first

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I only have one thing to say about turbos..... New Head Gaskets and Studs are a MUST! :rotflmao trust me..... The guys who have 100,000 on their stock gaskets and studs with a turbo install, they just got lucky :p

middaymidnight

Reaction score
I've already have a banks kit on my truck but I want faster spool and it would still have more top end then the Mitsubishi turbo I have on there now. My whole build plan is this
-bw 256
-arp head studs
-R&d 90 or 100 cc pump still undecided on that one
-cooling mist water/**** kit
-possibly injectors
-R&D cam.

Should have some balls and hopefully be in the low high 200s or possibly in the low threes with 550+ ft/lbs of tq.

middaymidnight

Reaction score
Btw I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have a maxed out pump and I'm boosting 17-18 pounds on stock gaskets as is with no problem haha

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, your lucky..... 6 PSI of boost and mine were done..... How you getting that much boost of the turbo kit? Is it modified?

middaymidnight

Reaction score
I don't know really. I disabled the wg and I have a 6637 air intake. I have my pump maxed out but after 2500 rpm the fueling curve will be about the same as stock. Other than turbo I think the banks kit is the cats ass

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Than you're definitely gonna run out on the upper end.
Just a guess, but I'd say over 2500 rpm it's gonna fall on its fall and EGT will go through the roof.
Bump a size bigger than the 256.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
I only have one thing to say about turbos..... New Head Gaskets and Studs are a MUST! :rotflmao trust me..... The guys who have 100,000 on their stock gaskets and studs with a turbo install, they just got lucky :p

my truck has 150,000 and has had the banks kit on it since it was born in 93', installed by banks. never ahd the gakets or studs done

i remember someone saying they thought your fuel was up to high, might have had something to do with the failure you experienced but that turbo (if its a hypermaxx as i remember) should do 9psi not just 6 so you definitely had something out of the usual going on there.
-------------------------------------------------------
middaymidnight-

whats the specs on the turbo? also is it wastegated non-wastegated? was it build for a different application? if so whats the application and size?

need more/better info to give a good opinion on it.

You completely dissabled the wastegate? how did you do that and what EGT's are you running?

Also what pump do you have?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, your lucky..... 6 PSI of boost and mine were done..... How you getting that much boost of the turbo kit? Is it modified?

It looked like your truck already had issues going on pre turbo, turbo just exposed them. That said, studs are easy insurance, especially with unknown head bolts. For the guys that know their head bolts haven't been reused, etc., and that they're torqued correctly, it can be different. Unless it's a 6.9, then I'd do studs. But I digress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

middaymidnight

Reaction score
my truck has 150,000 and has had the banks kit on it since it was born in 93', installed by banks. never ahd the gakets or studs done

i remember someone saying they thought your fuel was up to high, might have had something to do with the failure you experienced but that turbo (if its a hypermaxx as i remember) should do 9psi not just 6 so you definitely had something out of the usual going on there.
-------------------------------------------------------
middaymidnight-

whats the specs on the turbo? also is it wastegated non-wastegated? was it build for a different application? if so whats the application and size?

need more/better info to give a good opinion on it.

You completely dissabled the wastegate? how did you do that and what EGT's are you running?

Also what pump do you have?

I found an ats aurora 2000 (bw s256) with a t4 flange it so its a 56mm turbo which may be a tad small on the exhaust side.

Right now with the second gen banks kit I have the wastegate completely disabled I just clamped the actuator hose off. At 3000 rpm and 17-18 lbs of boost I am right at about 950 degrees

Black dawg

Reaction score

what about the guys with 200k plus? I have never once recommended studs and gaskets with a turbo install on a 7.3, and still wont, a 6.9 on the other hand, I WILL NOT install a turbo without studs and gaskets. Did we ever get pictures of your blown gaskets, or just the block?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
I found an ats aurora 2000 (bw s256) with a t4 flange it so its a 56mm turbo which may be a tad small on the exhaust side.

Right now with the second gen banks kit I have the wastegate completely disabled I just clamped the actuator hose off. At 3000 rpm and 17-18 lbs of boost I am right at about 950 degrees

not pleased with the TE06h at 18 psi? those are good egts, do you pull anything, do you know your number pulling a trail/load/towing?

middaymidnight

Reaction score
not pleased with the TE06h at 18 psi? those are good egts, do you pull anything, do you know your number pulling a trail/load/towing?

It just feels laggy and I know it won't be over 13 or 14 once I intercool it. I just know there are a lot more efficient setups our there.I pull a 24' flatbed equipment trailer with it and I've had 10k on that trailer fairly frequently. so I figure the truck weighs 6500, the trailer AT LEAST 3500 so gross is about 20 with my tractor on it. When towing I can keep it under 1000 fairly easily until I get to long hills, then I just have to downshift and let it eat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.