Turbo Timer

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
Alright so being a navy SeaBee diesel mechanic we always teach our operators to do a 3 to 5 minute cool down on all our diesel equipment of course main the turbocharged equipment. So I have been trying to find a turbo timer that will fit my 92 although not turboed yet the owners manual does state that you should do a cool down on the idi. The only turbo timers I can find that are so-called universal fit onto Rice Burners:puke: so has anyone had any experience with these for our trucks. Thanks

tknomaj

Reaction score
isspro make one that hooks up to pyro that is to be placed in down pipe after turbo and will cool down until proper temp. is reached. Other than that one all others are a guessing game

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I owned a bus and was on the bus forums there was alot of discussion about cool down on the diesel's. Mostly about engines that had turbos. With Hi temp's within the turbo, the lube oil would "coke up" in the oil passages to the bearings ultimately destroying them without a cool down period. Some even added a supplement oiling system that would continue oil flow to the bearings after engine shutdown, thinking the turbo was still spinning at hi RPM without lube.

All in all it sure don't hurt to have at least a minute of cool down and more with turbos that have bronze bearings.

Did ya ever observe the coolant temp rise a little after shutdown, mostly all that heat has to conduct to the coolant. Scientific law--- Heat travels to Cold

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, with the help of a friend, developed a simple breadboard circuit using electronics from RadioShack that yielded just over a 2 minute run on once the key was turned off. It simply plugged in series with the fuel shut-off solenoid. Once you turned the key off the cicuit supplied voltage for over 2 minutes.
We never built more than the prototype and thinking now I have no idea where the schematic is.:dunno

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
Oldbull that is exactly why we tell our operators to due cool downs cause replacing turbos gets old on construction equipment after a while.