Turbo my 6.9 or install 7.3 with turbo

allgonoshow

Reaction score
Ok I have a 1986 F-350 crew cab. The entire pickup only has 50,000 original miles on it and runs great and is the most reliable IDI I have ever driven. I would like to have a little more power however. Here is my dilemma. I also have an 89 F-350 with a 7.3 that has a banks turbo on it. I believe it is the old style banks turbo. It is non-wastgated and has a square shaped airbox that says "banks turbo" on it. Old style correct? The 7.3 ran when we parked it but the body is trashed. Do ya'll think I should turbo my extremely reliable great running 6.9? Or should I remove the 7.3, install studs and new head gaskets and run that? Here is a picture of them both...

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would put the turbo on the 6.9 and stud it you dont need to stud a 7.3 and there have cavitation issues

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my 7.3, turbo the 6.9 and now would be a great time to head gasket and stud it then forget about it.

allgonoshow

Reaction score
Ok so it appears that my decision is clear...thanks guys. How much will the turbo affect the longevity of the engine when compared to non-turboing it?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you maintain it properly and watch your gauges you will probably get sick of driving it before it gives out

allgonoshow

Reaction score
What gauges are you guys using? Does anyone make an A-pillar setup for the boost/pyro?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
You have some cool trucks! ;Sweet

I would stud a 6.9 for the same reasons listed above and keep the 7.3 around just in case :D

allgonoshow

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment rot box. I love these old pickups. I also have a few 70's fords in my collection. Also thanks alot for all the input everyone. I am also seriously contemplating putting some 37'' humv take offs onto my crewcab, I have some 16.5's laying around. I wonder if I could get by with no lift? Maybe I could throw an extra leaf in the front. I'm sure they will rub a "little" but I can live with that... What do you guys think?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I am also seriously contemplating putting some 37'' humv take offs onto my crewcab, I have some 16.5's laying around.

They would look good ;Really My friend just ordered some for his 82 Crew Cab GM 6.2--can't wait to see it. The problem with H1's is the backspacing. You could either run dually front hubs and rear spacers or get the H1's recentered. PM 406YJ on http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692850 if you choose to recenter them. He is great to work with and has the best prices by far.

EDIT: Oop's I thought you meant H1 wheels not the tires... My bad.

Last edited:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
A guy on FTE put 37's on his stock 1986 F-250. He was using steel wheels though so the tires fit really well. He claimed minimal rubbing at full lock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online