Turbo hard piping?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my turbo back from the rebuild and I made a feed pipe that connects to the crossover pipe I welded it will I have issues with stuff cracking?

You must be registered for see images attach

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not right. You have the two exhaust manifolds and only one is feeding the turbo while it goes out to the muffler (or where it would be). Both the exhaust manifolds feed the turbocharger. The output of the turbocharger exhaust goes to the down tube and out the muffler. LOOK AGAIN!

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep sorry I should have said something about that, it's getting capped off welded shut, don't look at that lol

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not right. You have the two exhaust manifolds and only one is feeding the turbo while it goes out to the muffler (or where it would be). Both the exhaust manifolds feed the turbocharger. The output of the turbocharger exhaust goes to the down tube and out the muffler. LOOK AGAIN!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
without knowing material or type of weld or rod grade. Best I can suggest is to start over. Once you have impurities in a weld its not likely you can "burn it out"...

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean from the vibration of the motor. I am a welder they are good solid welds its all hard piped do I need to put something to allow movement/
I used er70-s and its regular exhaust pipe there are no impurities in my welds

without knowing material or type of weld or rod grade. Best I can suggest is to start over. Once you have impurities in a weld its not likely you can "burn it out"...

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With good welds there's nothing to worry about for a long, long time. Unless the pipe was super thin to start with.

But you definitely need to re-do the up-pipes! Two into one right at or right before the turbo. Lots of images online to Google if you want ideas. You'll have much better performance with proper flow into the turbine, and it will make the vehicle much more fun/powerful/efficient.

I am *not* a welder and I did my own down pipe/exhaust 30k ago and it's still quite solid. (GMAW) All butt-welds and I even did a pie cut bend for the first time and while it's a pain with my lack of shop it was fun and is holding up well.
I also did the 3" outlet mod and run 1150-1200 EGTs towing regularly, no issues to speak of. That's a lap weld FWIW.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with your welds... however the pressure flow from each bank to the turbo will SUCK badly because of all the sharp angles and flow direction changes in the exhaust. You won't get good work energy delivered to the turbo with that setup..

Looks like that turbo has a T3/T4 FLANGE, which has room to route both pipes directly to the turbo.. if you clock the turbo properly, which it isn't... the 90 degree bend going into the turbo sucks for pressure transition.. you can do much better.

Have a look at the turbo exhaust pipe layout on 99 and up Powerstrokes... they did it about right, far as pressure flow transfer to get work energy into the turbo.
You have the engine out, so perfect time and space to really get a good system.

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you could do is to cut of the portion circled in red and make the portions that are yellow and blue. It would replicate the factory setup. I still don’t think the factory up pipes are a good design but hey, engineers planned that out not me. I’m a tig welder but I have used mig and arc. I feel tig is the best way to completely control the weld all the way through since you are in complete control of heat and wire. I would put in a section of vibration pipe as well just for longevity but I’m sure your system ,corrected, will work fine. Just remember, hard angles will ruin your flow so if you want a good home kit. Make the up pipes as short and fluid as possible.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726