turbo engine.

blue rally

Reaction score
I have an important question, is there a real difference between an non-turbo and a engine built for turbo?
Can a non-turbo engine run a turbo at say 5-10 boost?
Does a turbo engine lacking the turbo run with less power than a non-turbo engine?
The reason I was asking is since the shop that rebuilt the motor said it was built for a turbo, but lacking the turbo it will have less power than a stock non-turbo motor. :dunno:confused:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to do some reading buddy.
wont kill ya to spend a half an hour+ in the "stickys, and tech articles"
that would answer all of your questions, while getting to know your truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both the turbo and non turbo engines are very similar. They both have the same cam and compression ratio. The differance comes from the larger wrist pins pistons and rods. They had a oil cooler with more fin count but.. The turbo cooler is all we can buy these days. Then there was the exhaust valves. they were an Inconel material for the stress of higher exhaust temps. As for being built for a turbo but have less power than a turboed engine because there was no turbo.. Well that's right up off the stable floor. Thats horseshit right there bud.... Any non turbo engine can easily be made into a turbo engine by adding a turbo. You can also purchase a set of turbo rods along with turbo pistons. These are very simple engines that share most EVERY internal part be it turbo or not. Might want to find a better shop than the place that told you this engine is going to lack power without a turbo and be less powerful than a non turbo engine. Might also push for more info as to why this was said.

blue rally

Reaction score
thank you for that clarification, your answer is what I was looking for and hoping that the others was from the stable floor. as I posted in my original the last owner had the engine rebuilt when he blew up the turbo and not changing the oil. the shop had supposedly rebuilt the motor for a turbo and then the last owner opted out at last minute after the motor was done for a turbo install as he could not afford it. so this makes me think the motor is turbo ready, too bad he left all the other turbo parts back at the shop.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Break in is a non issue . the only detrimental difference is fueling from the pump. Almost all other things are pretty equal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any idi engine is capable of having a turbo installed on it and it will run like a striped ass ape or a scaulded dog.... Remember all the big three turbo makers designed their turbos to run on these non turbo engines very well. They may have shortened the noremal life of the non turbo engine but nobody ever sued because they ruined and engine with a ?Banks or other turbo.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest that you remove that gauge from filter head. I had same cheap gauge in same location and it failed about 80 miles into a 150 mile trip, right out of the box. Spewed about 10 gallons of diesel fuel all over the place in engine bay. If it is not a liquid filled gauge, it will rattle itself apart.