Turbo boost

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been some discussion on boost when an after market turbo system is added to the 7.3 idi engines. Anyway, I decided to ask ATS how much boost my 1990 F250 4x4 ATS turbo system made at both idle, and at WOT. The following is a what was sent to me:

"RE: ‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe
Sent: Mon 7/14/08 8:31 AM
To: [email protected]

The turbo system will not make any boost at idle and will make about 13psi or so at full throttle. It all depends on your fueling though.

Bryan Vilaubi
ATS Diesel Performance
Email: [email protected]
Toll Free: (800) 949-6002 X-107
Direct: (303) 327-4728
Fax: (303) 431-0135

Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:30 PM
To: Kelli Weaver
Subject:

I HAVE YOUR ATS TURBO SYSTEM ON MY 1990 7.3 IDI, AND I LOVE IT. BUT I HAVE A QUESTION. HOW MUCH BOOST DOES THIS SYSTEM PROVIDE (ABOUT), WHILE AT IDLE, AND AT FULL THROTTLE.

MARQ"

I copied and pasted the entire e-mail verbatum.

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds right to me. I'm surprised you got a answer from ATS. You will not see any boost at idle. You can change your boost if you have a wastegated turbo by shortning or lengthening the wastegate rod. I shortened mine and I see about 11 psi boost at about 1800 rpms. I really do not want much more becausse of the high compression. Why are you curious, are you running low boost numbers or just asking to know? Just wondering?

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct. I was not sure. I get told so many things, I just had to try and get ahold of ATS (because my system is an ATS). And, yes my turbo has a wastegate, but I am leaving it alone. I read were some claim almost 30lb at WOT, and all kinds of tales. I was under the understanding from my dad (who as a Cummins), that a regular diesel with regular compression (around 17 to 1) get 25-28lb of boost, and a good after market set up will go 35lb of boost. And than there's the full out high performance who get 50+ lb of boost. I just assumed because of the laws of physics that with 21.5 to 1 compression ratio, it could not be more than 12-15 lb of boost, without breaking things. Anyway I had got different responses of different claims, and I just wanted to know what a stock turbo system on my stock 7.3 IDI made. Because than I can get a better understanding of fuel adjustments, how much hp/torque I may be making. If I can add a water injection system, how much timing can I add, etc. I always feel that, the more I know about a subject the better informed choices I will make.

Marq
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
He forgot to tell you load and how hard you're pulling also effects boost pressure (harder longer pull-more heat-more boost capability) so many factors.The wastegate should enhance these factors.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeh, I am sure there are things that effect the outcome, but I believe that, the max output, that my ATS (wastgated turbo) will produce is about 13lb of boost, give or take, . . . I know that there is a procedure in which a vaccuum tool is used to set the waste gate while the engine is off. In my diesel manuel, it tells you how to do it. And, I know that a good shop (hopefully a good shop was used to install my setup), will correctly set the boost on the turbo, by using the vaccum methode, and than correctly add the fuel, by turning the (roller assembly spring) adjustment which we all know is on the side of the DB2 pump, under the plate.

Hey Bill, how ya doing??

marq
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see 13 lbs with my ats but it has a bigger wheel and an intercooler, with 4 inch exhaust and the wastegate sense line is unhooked. With the stock comp wheel it would only make 10 lbs under full load and I do have the fuel turned up
some:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ... A stock Moose pump will get you way past 15 lbs the way it comes out of the box. I know... The Moose pump is not stock but when I installed mine and saw the boost numbers shooting up past 12 so fast it scared me. I know my motor can handle it but why push things till I know when they break. Soon the Hypermax intercooler will be installed and then..... Towcat knows what I mean......:D

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ATS and a Hypermax turbo, The 7.3 ATS setup gets 12-14psi depending on load. My fuel is maxed on that truck.
My Hypermax 6.9 setup I dont have much experiance with, But tonight it I saw 10psi before I ran outta road. I dont know where the fuel setting is on that truck.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but I think if you're seeing 10 psi on a non gated setup your fuel is turned WAAY up unless you have some hills or you're hauling a big load. Bill is right these factors make a huge difference with turbos, probably second only to fueling.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Gary, but my fuel is maxed out and it will roll coal all the way to governed rpm, SOOOO it must be a timing curve in the moose pump. And injector delivery.

I like my 18.7 mpg empty so it works for me.

Also keep in mind I have ported heads and a torque cam and I run out of legal road real quick in 5th gear;Sweet

Preems14

Reaction score
What kind of boost levels will i be seeing with a factory turbo with a stock downpipe and 3 inch from dp back?. Im taking my truck in on saturday to get all my gauges hooked up and then its bodywork time.:D

Preems14

Reaction score
How do i get more boost. I know turning up the fuel can get me a bit more and also a bigger downpipe. Sorry for being a newb im still just learning and i think im doing okay for a 15 year old

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How do i get more boost. I know turning up the fuel can get me a bit more and also a bigger downpipe. Sorry for being a newb im still just learning and i think im doing okay for a 15 year old

Adjust the wastegate, or unplug the wastegate. To get more boost by adjusting it I believe you have to lengthen the wastegate rode, so whichever way turning it makes it do that (more than likely counterclockwise)

and by the way i love your truck i watch the jake brake videos all the time on youtube. I will get some up of mine when i get my license ;Sweet

Thanks man ;Sweet