trying to leave town truck won't start

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a vet, trying to get the hell outta cali and back home, 2200 miles to VA. My truck won't start
92' f350 7.3 idi. e40d pulled the starter and had it tested, good, pulled the relay, it's good too, checked all fuses and relays, good. changed the nss. put in a new starter switch "funny looking box under the steering column with copper pins a bolt through the middle holds the connector to it", still nothing. I'm stumped. I have no power on the starter wire when key is in start position. when it is in run I get 5-7vdc. what now? I can run a jump wire from the hot side of the pass battery to the s terminal on the starter relay and she turns strong, and will even start with the help of a buddy turning the key. otherwise wts lights engage, glows light but when I turn it to go nothing, just dead silence. what gives? What now?

my other post is here:

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
not quite sure what starter switch you're talking about. If it's what I'm thinking about, the one with the rod from the key switch going into it, it is possible that it might be out of adjustment. Can you loosen the nuts and slide it a little closer to the steering wheel? If that's not it, maybe the pot metal piece that guides the rod I mentioned. It's close to the key switch and you have to pull the steering wheel to see it. If that's broken, the rod won't move far enough forward to start with the key. My Bronco has this problem. I'm waiting for warmer weather to fix it. If you really need to get home, surely you can jump across the solenoid like you mentioned. It's not a good way to do it, but hey, it's an emergency right? Who cares as long as it will get you there.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the key turns with resistance, and the "hole" in the steering column moves like it is supposed to. I am not sure about "adjusting" this, fail to see why it makes a difference. I had a hand on the key as I was installing this, and turned the key until the "peg" found the "hole" I then watched as the entire assy. moved forward and back with the turning of the key, throughout the movement. the key doesn't get stuck or anything, and has resistance "because of the springs" I don't understand, why would this prevent me from starting the truck? *confused* is the pot alu. piece broken off snd needs to be replaced, what is it's role? I know what "it" is lemme take another look.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was just a matter of moving and it was only me I would say F@#$ it. but my wife and kid are with me, and having an engine fire or something else go wrong is not an option. but I appreciate the sentiment

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBS colums don't have the switch issues like the earlier trucks. besides, he changed it out already.
i'd look at the neutral saftey switch on the trans to make sure it's not keeping you shut down.
in fact, just for ***** and giggles, move your shift selector to "N" on the PRNDLL and see if that makes a difference.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
held key in start pos. and "slowly" shifted through all gears no change P.S. I did that with the e- brake on

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has the banks trans setup, I don't know if that means anything. I tried cleaning the connectors out, too, look good though. I cleaned the one on the pass side for the banks computer, the one on the trans pass side, and the one on the drivers side for the nss. all look good. should I just start over? how should I do it?

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it, just kept at it. was probing wires for the start voltage starting at the ignition switch and working my way torward the starter, I got to the relay on the fender then I asked my buddy to try turning the key, first with no voltage, like before, then the second time, bingo, dunno why. call this a case closed, ready to hit the road.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Sounds like you found the problem and fixed it... Good trip ahaead is what you need now...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online