truck shut off

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
ok so i was driveing down the road just yesturday and my truck shuts off im like *** so i pull off and the truck wont restart so i start movein some wires around and then the truck starts ok so it smokein gray like all hell goin down the road and it doesnt clear up now the only thing ive been doing diffrent is a 50/50 mix of WMO now truck has 199200 on the motor and i dont know when the injection pump was replaced and the truck doesnt sound like its runin like it use to plus major loss of power now could my IP be bad or my lift pump i pushed the bleeder to check for fuel and it spit out fuel like it does when i have someone crank it and i push the bleeder but it i believe its the IP any suggestions :puke:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You have fuel at the bleeder while cranking, then the lift pump is working good.

You said you moved wires around, what wires?

How long did it take before it restarted from when it shut down?

How long were you driving it before it decided to quit?

When did you change the air filter last?

Sounds like you have a couple problems...power to the FSS and MAYBE heat soak issues.

Post back and let us know some more details.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Was it running fine before?
I'm with Goofy on the FSS causing it to just shut off. But if it was running fine before but now has power loss and you've been running wmo I'd be thinking fuel filter there.

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
You have fuel at the bleeder while cranking, then the lift pump is working good.

You said you moved wires around, what wires?

How long did it take before it restarted from when it shut down?

How long were you driving it before it decided to quit?

When did you change the air filter last?

Sounds like you have a couple problems...power to the FSS and MAYBE heat soak issues.

Post back and let us know some more details.

ok so its spitin fuel out of the bleeder, ok i shook the fuel shutoff solenoid, and the timing advance wire, and i got it started maybe 15 to 20 minutes later but it started when i wiggled the wire but it started smokein like hell till like half way home and also air filter isnt that old

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
hmmm....How long have you been burning WMO?

I would guess that it was the wires to the IP that caused the shutdown, but it could be a heat soak issue as well.

I would change the fuel filter. That is the first place to look at a power issue. You could have got water or some other junk in there, or maybe its just old and is starting to fail internally.

As for the smoke, you say it was grey? Oil can cause a little grey smoke, but oil smoke is usually blue. Sounds like it's getting enough fuel, I would still check the air filter and intake. Just because it's recently new don't mean it's not plugged. I usually change mine once every 3 months.....I work in a gravel pit and the truck sucks up a lot of crap when I show up and leave work.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The waste engine oil is enough to cause the grey smoke, even in a perfect engine.

Honestly, I wish I-H/FORD had never put that silly Schraeder valve on these engines; it serves no useful purpose whatsoever and should be removed and the hole plugged.

I suspect that the used oil mix washed loose a big slug of "algae" and it momentarily plugged something in the fuel system, thus shutting the engine down.

What kind of sediment-bowl and pre-filter are you using ??

What are your fuel-pressure gauge readings ??

I could be wrong, but I think that wiggling those wires had no effect on the situation, as your mention of the other resultant conditions after the shut-down point toward a fuel problem and not an electrical problem. :dunno

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Try a fuel additive run 2-3X normal dose in the tank and fill the fuel filter with 1/2 additive-1/2 diesel, start up for a sec and shut off and let sit overnight. I should buy stock in DieselKleen b/c it's saved my IP several times from junk-in-fuel issues.

Also this. A teeny bit spendy for po' folks like me but worth every dime. You oughta see what it will remove from your fuel, even pump diesel. Eww. I love mine and I'll never run alternate fuels again without it.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like ip pump gone romove the top cover and you will most likley find the black remants of a broken up plastic governer ring ,