truck not shifting out of 4wd (sometimes)?

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I put my truck in 4wd and when I shift the transfer case back to 2wd it doesn't come out? The TC shifter moves fine, and the light on the dash goes away, but I am still in 4wd. The truck has auto hubs if that matters. Now this is happening when I put it into 4hi, I very rarely use 4lo. most of the time when this happens I will shift the truck into reverse and drive backwards for 100ft or so, then put it back into 2nd and drive forward and it will be back in 2wd??? What would cause it to hang in 4wd, is there something I should be checking like TC fluid (the linkage seems to work fine)?

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the hubs might not be releasing. How long has it been since you've had them apart? You should only have to back up 10 or 15 feet for them to release.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swap out those automatic hubs and put some quality Manual Warn or even factory manual hubs on there. Those autos are the culprit I am near certain from what you say.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Even a cleaning and re-grease might fix the auto hubs...Mine used to work great. I have a set here for a D60, I didn't even know they made them for a 350 until I opened the box of parts that came with the truck. I always buy the Warn manuals...reliable.;Sweet

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But with the manuals don't you have to get out and lock them in everytime you want to use them? If so that doesn't sound like any fun to me in -10 degree weather with 50 mph winds.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
my dads 99 chev 2500 does the same thing, he only has to drive a few feet or so. manuals arent so bad, you can turn them in and let them in, you dont have to put them in and out every time you need 4x4, it hurts turning radius (really sucks on a truck that already take a football field and a half to make a u-turn) but other than that it shouldnt hurt anything as far as i know. correct me if im wrong

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can feel the front driveline when you get up to freeway speeds with the front hubs locked in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online