Truck is totaled and I have a few questions?

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Judy is totaled took a 99 Acura CL for a ride under the passenger side of her (She got T-Boned). Everyone is fine and now its time to look for a new rig, and of course it will be an IDI. But I have a couple questions about a truck I found. It's and 85 looks to be in really good shape from the pic's. But guys says it wont start. I know I know fuel, air, and working GP system. I know how to test the GP parts now (After just doing all of that work to mine) But without getting to involved whats the best way to check for fuel? And we are assuming that the truck turns over just no start. Is looking for black smoke out the tail the best way or what? Help me out here guys. I'm probably going to to look at this rig tomorrow night. Thanks --Mike--

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct white smoke. At the fuel filter head there is a schrader valve. After/during cranking you should get fuel there to come out. If fuel squirts out while cranking you should be good in the fuel department.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah duh I didn't think about the valve at the fuel filter. But what about out of the IP? Or is that pretty much a leap of faith with out getting to nosey with the current owner standing there?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring a 5/8 wrench with yah and crack an injector line nut and look for pulsating fuel. You get this thing runnin the price is gonna go up!
My main test, if he allowed, would be a quick pull of the glow plugs and check compression. If all the cylinders were over 300 and within 10% of each other, I'd buy it as is.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd Love to do that but like you guys said if I make it run then I'll pay alot more for it. The only parts on my current rig that arent use able is the cab and frame. So if worst comes to worst I could always peice the two together.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatever you do, do a compression test.

ask the guy what he wants for it. ask him if he minds if you can try to get it going, and if so...tell him, if you get it running.. the price remains the same, period.

with a cold engine, crack the injector nuts one at a time, spin it over and check for fuel.
If you have fuel and the gp's are good and the compression is good, it will start.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Shutoff Solenoid. If you have fuel at the filter head, checked by the Schrader valve, and no white smoke out the pipe while cranking, make sure you have power to the solenoid.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that one for $1000 on craigslist I live in Pleasant Valley (just east of Placerville), if you want this weekend my diesel mechanic and I are going down to sac we could meet up to try and diagnose the problem if you have time. Given the fact this guy supposedly had the motor rebuilt (he says 7.3 idi turbo) then he is either an idiot and its something simple or he's really screwed this thing up.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
On a side note, do you need the old cluster/surround? Does it have a tach?

SWS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, if the price is right just take it as is. You have an engine for it if you really need it, but you will be able to resurect it better on your terms and on your turf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online