Truck hops while taking off!

Reaction score
I need some help here. First of all, I have a zf-5 manual, with as far as i know a stock clutch/flywheel setup.

When the truck is cold, or its raining out, the first say 10 takeoffs from a dead stop make the truck hop, or buck badly!......Its definatly something with the flywheel/clutch.

anyone ever have this problem, and how did you fix it? thanks

Reaction score
haha, no this is when i am taking off ever so slowly......the wheels arnt hopping, something is causing the truck to shudder when its cold...after i drive it awhile, it clears up.

Its nothing engine realated, because it always runs great!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I have the same problem- I always figured it was just glazed places on the clutch plate. It's especially bad backing uphill, or doing second gear starts. Basically anytime you have to feather the clutch.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine does it as well. All the time though. I think oil is dripping onto the flywheel causing it though.

Mine did it with a brand new clutch/pressure plate, and resurfaced flywheel. Maybe its the clutch hydraulics (tiny air bubbles?)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Mine does it as well. All the time though. I think oil is dripping onto the flywheel causing it though.

Mine did it with a brand new clutch/pressure plate, and resurfaced flywheel. Maybe its the clutch hydraulics (tiny air bubbles?)

Give the man a kewpie doll!, yeppers, that sounds like the culprit. When oil drips on a clutch it will jump and buck and generally make life miserable, a small drip will burn off and be gone the rest of the day. when I put a engine in or tranny on I put sealer in between the adapter plate and engine and the bellhousing and adapter plate to keep errant fluids out of the clutch ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I might have to do that.

Or I could just figure out where my leak is coming from LOL I'm thinking the CDR tube going into the intake or the turbo itself is leaking some oil.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only place where oil can really drip into the clutch where it would get on the disc surface is if it is leaking out of one of the crank bolts. A rear seal problem will generally sling it out from behind the clutch disk. I suppose it is not inconceiveable that a leak from above might go into one of the bell housing vent holes and get in the clutch that way, but I dunno.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with Mel on this item... These crank to pressure plate bolts go thru the crank into the oil pan side of the motor. Oil will leak out past the threads. Thats why a thread locker-sealant is needed on the bolt threads. I use blue locktite and never have any leaks. Even rtv on the threads will work fine....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When I pulled the flywheel off it had no look of it leaking right there. I installed the flywheel and pressure plate bolts with blue loctite. Didn't seem to be leaking there. I do know I have a leak at the top ofthe tranny though ( bought a gasket kit to fix it). And oil from on top of the motor. There always seems to be a drop of oil on the tranny dust cover.