Truck has a miss at idle and dies

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last two days I have work my truck harder than ever and she is fighting back. I have been hauling a mini excavator for two days 50 miles on way. This morning the truck felt like it had a miss. I got in my truck later this afternoon to return the excavator and the truck died 7 times on a 10 mile trip. If I run the truck in drive not overdrive it doesn't die but does not have the power it should. Any suggestions please.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried that not the problem I think maybe the lift pump is going out. Which sucks because it isn't but 6 months old

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to check the fuel pressure yet I just did get it home. I plan on working on it over the weekend. I found that if I run the truck at 2500 rpms plus I could keep the truck running. The truck would lose power for 4 seconds and then the truck would start to take off running again. it appeared that when I got on curvy roads that the problem got worse like it was sucking air. I just filled the truck up after this ordeal started so it is not out of fuel.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A worn out lift pump will drastically decrease power. If bad, it can cause massive fuel leaks, and where there is a fuel leak.....air will find its way in lines. If the lift pump diaphragm ruptured, it is a possibility that you now have diesel fuel in your oil. Hope you get that truck fixed and keep us updated!

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump should not be worn out it is 8 months old and only has 5000 miles on it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't but it certainly is a possibility. Even new parts can fail before they are supposed to. It could be many other things as well.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I'd change fuel filter and run some additive and see if it improves. Like you said, lift pump should not have gone out that quickly.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had parts house lift pumps (i.e. airtex) go out super fast. I finally did get a good one though (a year and no problems)

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The lift pump should not be worn out it is 8 months old and only has 5000 miles on it.

New /= Good.

I cannot tell you how many parts I've had fail 100-5000 miles into what should have been a 10-50k service life. Crap manufacturing and no QA is simply a fact of life nowdays. The lift pump should NOT have failed, but it certainly sounds like it may have.

Also look at the fuel heater, olives and any of the other connections where you could be sucking in air. It might be worth trying the clear fuel line trick between the lift pump and filter, then if that's solid fuel, between the filter and IP.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i ordered the lift pump I made sure to order one that was not an airtex. I ordered the one that was made by the company that makes them for ford. I cannot recall who that was but I thought I was be preventive because the old one wasnt even bad I just put it in when I put my rebuilt engine in. SO much for be preventitive.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I found the problem. I installed an old lift pump that I had and had the same problem. when I was looking at the lift pump I found that the rubber line near the pump had been melted by my exhaust manifold. I guess I created this problem when towing and getting my EGT's up to 1050 degrees F. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online