Trubo IP on a N/A 7.3

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock IP started leaking a few weeks ago so I replaced with a factory ford turbo IP that I had and I was told is new. Truck runs really good but WOW it gets hot fast!! Towed a 16 foot flat bed trailer about 150 miles it was nothing to get up to 1200 on the pyrometer and where I am in Wisconsin there are no big hills. And talk about rollin coal its a fog behind my truck when I get on it. I need to turn this pump down to a reasonable fuel amount for a N/A engine I have read about turning IP's up but never down. Turn the screw counter clock wise 1 flat 2 flats?

Thanks for the help
JOHN

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just do the opposite of turning it up. 1 or 2 flats oughta bring down your temps and get rid of the smoke screen. mine will crop dust anyone behind me when i tow something, but normal operating its a haze at most, unless i lug it with my foot to the floor.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes turn it toward the windshield an u would turn a turbo ip down due to it having to be up a flat or two for the turbo I would turn 1.5 flats down and go from there

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would spin her down at least 2.5 flats and go from there.
starting too low with the fuel is safe.starting too high however is not.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't u back out the screw to far and you have to take the pump out and apart is what I've heard that's why I said less and go from there it doesn't take long to re adjust small adjustments at a time and take for a test drive is what I heard

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put about 1400 miles on the truck since I put the turbo IP on I just keep a very close eye on the pyro. Its just not fun to drive I have to be to careful! It seems to be getting crappy MPG also pulling a trailer at around 55 mph 150 miles my front tank was empty. I will turn it down in the next few days when I find some time.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
What is your timing set at? It sounds like it may be too retarded. A turbo'd engine will run hotter if the timing is too retarded. I simple test is to add bio-diesel to your tank. Bio-diesel has a higher Cetane rating than dino-diesel which means it ignites sooner after injection. That means it requires less timing advance than regular #2 diesel. Try using 25% bio. If it runs better; better performance, better mileage, or cooler running, then your timing is probably too retarded for #2. If it runs better, try 50%. If it runs better the more bio you add, the more you need to advance your timing for regular #2 diesel.

If it runs worse, then your timing may already be optimally set for #2.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing was set around 8.5 and I am running a WMO mix so that probably makes it run a bit hotter.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Cetane rating of WMO is lower than #2 diesel and requires more advanced timing. You may want to try and advance a degree or two to start with. You wouldn't think different fuels would vary so much in their timing requirements, but they do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.