Trip to Tulsa....

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove the '93 to Tulsa yesterday morn pulling the 16ft stock trailer, animals and gear, maybe 5k weight. Was very pleased with the response from the motor with the new parts. Speed limit was 75, but I ran 65-70 so I could keep an eye on things. I was disappointed in the fuel mileage, 11.1 mpg. I know some fuel due to dripping at the pump which probably caused the lower number. Going to order the other 5 hard lines Friday, hopefully to end the leaks.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I got 11.5 towing with mine. Did not matter if it was the 5'r or a skid steer. IIRC you did not have it timed after the pump and injectors, if that is correct that may help you some with fuel economy. Congrats on a successful and uneventful voyage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. You really need to time this engine to get the best hp and mileage out of it. Those leaking hard lines cause a huge drop in fuel mileage too. These idi engines use very little fuel so any leak is a big deal. Your mileage was not really that bad either considering the weight and the trip you did. Glad it was not a trouble trip too.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 11 to 11.5 towing a 5th wheel that was 9-10k loaded. I should go weigh it, only had a month or so.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.10s are your killer over 60 mph.

If I tow my travel trailer 55 mph, I can get 14 or so. 65 mph and I am down at 10. Anything over 2200 rpm or so eats the fuel quickly.

Just the way it is for me...

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got home from "T" town, I will go fuel up in the morn and check what the mileage was on the way home. Will call a couple of shops in the area to see how much they charge to set the timing, since I'm not near any of our members who can set it. Also gonna check to see if I can locate any more leaks other than the one hard line I saw the other day. Still getting a strong raw fuel smell. I'm loving the fast starts when cold.. even the cold idle solenoid is working.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you can rent a meter from icanfixall here on the forum and time it your self. That is what I did when I replaced my IP and injectors. I would recommend that instead of looking for a shop with the right equipment to do it. Most shops don't have the equipment anymore, but some will agree to time it and then try and do it by ear. I prefer to rent the meter and do it myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online