Tried to replace downpipe!

ajd257

Reaction score
Diezel Cowboy,
Sorry, I dont have a part # or a pic of the pipe, and its in a rather difficult position to take a picture of now :D
However, the pipe should look similar to the pipe that you took out, only fatter and without the rediculous kink in it! There should be no 90 degree bend at the turbo end of the DP, those pipes are for the PSDs. The pipe will have a few mild bends in it and be flanged at the top.
I will tell you that Banks pipe was made in conjuction with the rest of their system, because of this, the pipe will need to have a piece added to it in order to be facing the rear of the truck, I just had a local muffler shop bend a piece for me, then I welded it on, nothing to difficult, but Banks didnt offer that information to me :backoff
As for noise, not to bad, I got some whistle when I did it, dont expect it to sound like a 6.0 but it certainly helped it. I also changed the rest of the system when I did the DP though, so I cant say that changing the DP deseves all the credit.
If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me an email @ [email protected]
Good Luck

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
ajd257 said:
Diezel Cowboy,
Sorry, I dont have a part # or a pic of the pipe, and its in a rather difficult position to take a picture of now :D
However, the pipe should look similar to the pipe that you took out, only fatter and without the rediculous kink in it! There should be no 90 degree bend at the turbo end of the DP, those pipes are for the PSDs. The pipe will have a few mild bends in it and be flanged at the top.
I will tell you that Banks pipe was made in conjuction with the rest of their system, because of this, the pipe will need to have a piece added to it in order to be facing the rear of the truck, I just had a local muffler shop bend a piece for me, then I welded it on, nothing to difficult, but Banks didnt offer that information to me :backoff
As for noise, not to bad, I got some whistle when I did it, dont expect it to sound like a 6.0 but it certainly helped it. I also changed the rest of the system when I did the DP though, so I cant say that changing the DP deseves all the credit.
If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me an email @ [email protected]
Good Luck

ajd,
The rest of my system has been in place for a few years now, 3" pipe up to the bed and into 5" stacks. I am just now getting around to the downpipe and am beginning to wonder if it was worth the hassle. But I sure hate to put her back together without a round pipe in there. I havent heard from anybody about the identity of the pipe I have or if i can get the right one instead but i will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
ajd,
The rest of my system has been in place for a few years now, 3" pipe up to the bed and into 5" stacks. I am just now getting around to the downpipe and am beginning to wonder if it was worth the hassle. But I sure hate to put her back together without a round pipe in there. I havent heard from anybody about the identity of the pipe I have or if i can get the right one instead but i will keep you posted. Thanks again.

You got a Powerstroke Down pipe.They use the 90degree elbow off the turbo due to turbo placement.I got up close and personal to one not too long ago while helping a buddy replace his Torque Converter.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
You got a Powerstroke Down pipe.They use the 90degree elbow off the turbo due to turbo placement.I got up close and personal to one not too long ago while helping a buddy replace his Torque Converter.

Yeah thanks for the verification, I assumed that it was for the powerstroke after I got the old downpipe out and put it beside the new one!

Does anybody know a good way to get pipe bends where they need to be?
I am going to have a pipe made using the flange off the stock pipe, but i need to get the bends decent enough so that it fits.
I was thinking about just holding a piece of wire where the center of the pipe looks like it should be and bend the wire to the shape of how the pipe should go as a template to make the pipe bends with. Any other suggestions?
I am tired of waiting on the diesel shop and banks to decide that I have the wrong pipe.......hell its been a week now that the truck has been sitting because of this!

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Yeah thanks for the verification, I assumed that it was for the powerstroke after I got the old downpipe out and put it beside the new one!

Does anybody know a good way to get pipe bends where they need to be?
I am going to have a pipe made using the flange off the stock pipe, but i need to get the bends decent enough so that it fits.
I was thinking about just holding a piece of wire where the center of the pipe looks like it should be and bend the wire to the shape of how the pipe should go as a template to make the pipe bends with. Any other suggestions?
I am tired of waiting on the diesel shop and banks to decide that I have the wrong pipe.......hell its been a week now that the truck has been sitting because of this!

The best thing to do is load it on a trailer and take the truck and the pipe to a muffler shop and let them take a good look at it and see if they can bend it for you :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao LOL

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
The best thing to do is load it on a trailer and take the truck and the pipe to a muffler shop and let them take a good look at it and see if they can bend it for you :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao LOL

Why not just drive it without a downpipe to the muffler shop.Just roll your window down to keep fresh air inside.Will be LOUD but better than having a pipe bent up just to find out it won't work......Again.

WD40

Reaction score
If you can find a good Muffler Shop Man that knows what he is doing he should be able to take your old pipe and make you a new one just by looking at it. He will have to have all of it and he may tack it back together just to be able to make the new one.
It can be done. If you were in Central AR I could get it done today.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise guys!
UPDATE: I ended up calling Banks myself last Friday. I should have called myself earlier in the week but I didnt because the diesel place I got the pipe from said they called Banks and were waiting on an answer.
Well turns out I dont think they even called Banks because in a few hours I called Banks myself, waited for their reply, confirmed the pipe I had was wrong, and ordered the right pipe! Banks does make a downpipe that will couple right up to the factory turbo housing, the guy from Banks said he had about 5 of them in stock. The pipe I had was Banks P/N:52102 the pipe that I needed was P/N: 52103! SO, the pipe should get here today and hopefully everything goes back together smoothly. I am not very happy with the diesel shop that I got the pipe from, they seem to have lied and jacked me around about this pipe for way too long!

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Well the other day I got the RIGHT downpipe from banks and installed it. It was P/N:52103. I took the truck for a test drive with just the downpipe and no other pipe hooked up. WOW it made a nice whistle sound!
Last night i connected the downpipe to the rest of the pipe and stacks and it made a difference in loudness as well as adding more whistle sound! Not as loud of a whistle as with just the downpipe but i expected that the rest of the pipe and stacks would muffle it a little.
The truck sounds even better now!