Tried to replace downpipe!

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Alright, I got a new downpipe for my truck from a local diesel service shop. So not knowing what it is supposed to look like, I cut the old one out and removed it and of course the one that I bought is does not fit. :mad: It has a 90 degree bend at the flange that will not work on my truck! So my question is this, If the shop can not get me a pipe that will fit, where do I look for one that will fit? Has anybody put a down pipe on the 7.3 IDI with factory turbo? And if so where did you buy yours? I need to get one now or have one made since the old one has been cut out!

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Take your old one to the place that made the replacement. they should be able to use it to make one, even though it has been cut.
Good Luck
James

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did not replace the outlet housing you will still have the 2 1/4 flange with the band clamp. Look online, a lot of diesel performance shops have 3 inch necked down to match the stock housing. you will have to mod the fire wall to get the clearance (unless you are lifted).

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes ATS sells the 3" DP but will not work with the factory outlet unless you cut the old DP and weld the factory flange connector to the new DP

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
yes ATS sells the 3" DP but will not work with the factory outlet unless you cut the old DP and weld the factory flange connector to the new DP

Yea but just replacing the down pipe without replacing the itty bitty stock housing is just a waste of money.You still have the restriction at the turbo.You can have a 10 inch exhaust system from the factory turbo back but the point is you still are pushing all the exhaust out of a 2 1/2"(Actually smaller ID) housing.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!
I don't plan on replacing the housing, it isnt necessary to get a little better flow. Saying that the downpipe wont matter is like saying a straight pipe wont add anything over the factory exhaust system. I am not looking for more power, just a little more noise from the turbo and engine.
I really wanted to just buy a pipe and put it on, it is gonna be more of a hassle to have one made and get the bends right. Do any of you know if there is a round manufactured pipe that bolt right up to stock? Or maybe someone has the measurements and bend directions to have one made?
Thanks for your help guys, the truck is gonna have to sit until I get this fixed! :puke:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Thanks for the responses!
I don't plan on replacing the housing, it isnt necessary to get a little better flow. Saying that the downpipe wont matter is like saying a straight pipe wont add anything over the factory exhaust system. I am not looking for more power, just a little more noise from the turbo and engine.
I really wanted to just buy a pipe and put it on, it is gonna be more of a hassle to have one made and get the bends right. Do any of you know if there is a round manufactured pipe that bolt right up to stock? Or maybe someone has the measurements and bend directions to have one made?
Thanks for your help guys, the truck is gonna have to sit until I get this fixed! :puke:

Banks makes one.

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
easier air goes in and out makes horsepower on these things. replacing the down pipe without replacing the housing is a waste of time and money do your self a favor and order the exhaust housing and downpipe from ats and be done with it

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
justblowin'smoke said:
easier air goes in and out makes horsepower on these things. replacing the down pipe without replacing the housing is a waste of time and money do your self a favor and order the exhaust housing and downpipe from ats and be done with it

ya easier air goes out.....that is what I'm after :rolleyes: The down pipe does squeeze down quite a bit and is a lot more restrictive than the housing. I dont need the housing I just need a downpipe that has the right bends and fits the factory housing.
Has anybody else done this? Or am I the only one that doesnt care about replacing the housing?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Or am I the only one that doesnt care about replacing the housing?
yup.
Don't bother with the downpipe if you don't want to do the housing at the same time. think of the factory housing as the dam upstream keeping check of the water flowing downstream. Same thing.

ajd257

Reaction score
I relaced the DP and rest of exhaust without doing the housing just cause I didnt have the jack to do everything, it helped! maybe not as much as doing the housing and all but not a waste of money. I got a DP from Banks, fit right in on the factory turbo and housing. They insinuated that there were very few of these DPs left when I got mine last May, and that they wold not be bending anymore. Call Banks, they may have one sittin on a self somewhere, and I gaurantee it fits your factory turbo if you order the same one I got.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
ajd257 said:
I relaced the DP and rest of exhaust without doing the housing just cause I didnt have the jack to do everything, it helped! maybe not as much as doing the housing and all but not a waste of money. I got a DP from Banks, fit right in on the factory turbo and housing. They insinuated that there were very few of these DPs left when I got mine last May, and that they wold not be bending anymore. Call Banks, they may have one sittin on a self somewhere, and I gaurantee it fits your factory turbo if you order the same one I got.

ajd,
Thanks for the promising information! Right now I am waiting on the place I bought the pipe from to check things out with banks. I am all but certain that the pipe I got is for a newer truck.
ajd, you wouldn't happen to have a banks part number for the pipe you ordered or perhaps a picture of it? Either would be helpful for knowing what the pipe should look like and to verify the identity of the pipe that I have.
Also, what kind of noise increase from the turbo/engine can I expect once i get the right pipe installed? Thanks!

By the way, I am glad that at least someone agrees that replacing the housing is not necessary to obtain some more flow and noise!