Transmisson question

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the six speed out of the newer diesel 7.3 will bolt to a 94 idi ? If so anything I should know ?

tractorman86

Reaction score
it will not bolt directly on. IIRC the top two boltholes are way off, the member that did it said it was a whole lot of work for little gain, i think it was Bigredtruck that did it but i can't be certain. personally i would love to do it but those are EXPENSIVE

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can probably get a good rebuilt e4od for the price of the zf6 and getting it put in the truck- especially if you r&i the trans yourself

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't use the trans adaptor plate with the ZF6 and without that plate, the top two bolt holes are not going to bolt to the block. Plus, like IACA said, the fluid cooler, flywheel and clutch would have to be a custom deal. JayBee was the member who did the swab on his IDI, but he's a professional fabricator, not your average do-it-yourself'er.

Plus, all that work and you really only gain a granny gear. Ever see the pattern at the top of a ZF6 shifter? L, 1, 2, 3, 4, OD. That's a ton of work to get a "low" gear under 1st.

Heath

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin