traction Bars

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished making my own traction bars, can post pics if anybody is interested.

They are tractor links cut in half and extended about 40", I also welded brackets to the frame and axle for them to bolt to.... I had to do it all with a torch and a stick, hopefully tomorrow I can limp to school to put some serious beads on there with a mig. (I dont like vertical and upside sticking)...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do post pics, yes, as I wanna do the same to my truck (not like she needs it much). Also be be very easy on her on your way to school.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking your UPnP service under Windows is acting up, mine has been doing the same for a while - before I could just plug the camera in and it'd show up as an external device in Explorer, now I have to actually run the Kodak software to transfer pictures from it. No idea what's up with this, the UPnP recognizes flash drives like it should, it's just the camera it don't like no more...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I got lots of stuff welded to my frame (5th wheel supports, front bumper braces, steering damper bracket), if it's done right and at the proper locations it should be just fine, and it sure beats going through a drill bit after a drill bit while at the same time trying to not put holes in things like fuel tanks and such :D

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I got lots of stuff welded to my frame (5th wheel supports, front bumper braces, steering damper bracket), if it's done right and at the proper locations it should be just fine, and it sure beats going through a drill bit after a drill bit while at the same time trying to not put holes in things like fuel tanks and such :D

Oh I hate drilling holes, If I wanted bolts holding it on I wouldve torched holes like I did in the brackets. Even the truck places around here that put on replacement bumpers weld and bolt it on.

I took them off to drive around after I finished new front axle shaft U-joints, and I will finish welding them at school tomorrow. Still havent got to a different computer.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be very curious to hear the results of using traction bar links on uneven terain. Everytime I go through the physics of it, I can't see the truck and axle trying to do anything other than tear itself apart.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'd be very curious to hear the results of using traction bar links on uneven terain. Everytime I go through the physics of it, I can't see the truck and axle trying to do anything other than tear itself apart.

they are deffinatly not OFF ROAD friendly

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by traction bar, do you mean anti-wrap bar(to stop axle wrap)? I've been using these on spring-over soft springs for offroading and with the right design(length/alignment with driveshaft, mounting near center of axle for balanced torque load), they work great.

I've built some similar to the below setup. the use of the shackle allows for natural forward/back travel as the springs compress/droop but do not allow the axle to rotate under acceleration.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/T..._Traction_Bar_for_Rear_Axle_CJ_7_and_YJ_s.htm

I haven't found any significant axle wrap from my truck(likely due to 1-ton springs) but for those with lighter duty vehicles and softer springs I could see why this would be beneficial. As a side note, I did not see any adverse affects when going in reverse(when bar is pushing down on shackle).

93turbo_animal

Reaction score

to be done right theres a kit that does away with your U-bolts and lets the axle slide some to help keep from binding when using traction bars but I still think traction bars would be a waste for off roading so either make them easilly removable or stay on the road:dunno