TP-38 vs the GTP-38 pedistals

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if these pedistals are the same mounts and ports from the early to late 7.3's?
on the engine itself.
i know the turbo mounting points are different inbetween the two.
they look about the same, just not sure about the feed and return ports.

i picked up a "TP-38" on e-bay
got here today and its a GTP-38 which i suspected from the start.
but the compressor housing is the same as a TP-38
V-band clamp for the up pipes, and a WG on the exhaust
am i correct in assuming that this is off a 99.5- 03?
ive never seen a gated turbo on the earlier stock PSD's.

it sure dont look like the compressor housing on my 01.
but the PO did lots of upgrades on it, and im not exactly sure what i have on the 01.

basically what i wanna do is buy the EBPV delete pedistal, bolt this turbo on it( with the painted exh housing)
and slap it on my 97 PSD.
beable to use bellowed up pipes from a 99.5-03

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your goal is to have bellowed up pipes on an early PSD, we carry them here at Conestoga Diesel Injection, and you wouldn't need to swap turbos. But what you are trying to do has been done by at least one of my customers, as he wanted to run the Garrett Powermax turbo we sell for the 99 and up 7.3's and that does require the round V-band exhaust, on an older OBS PSD. He swapped everything over from an 02' including the intake runners and Y. Our EBPV delete pedestal could be incorporated into such an upgrade.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your goal is to have bellowed up pipes on an early PSD, we carry them here at Conestoga Diesel Injection, and you wouldn't need to swap turbos. But what you are trying to do has been done by at least one of my customers, as he wanted to run the Garrett Powermax turbo we sell for the 99 and up 7.3's and that does require the round V-band exhaust, on an older OBS PSD. He swapped everything over from an 02' including the intake runners and Y. Our EBPV delete pedestal could be incorporated into such an upgrade.

the TP-38 on this truck is SHOT! comp wheel screams on the housing
up pipes for the early OBS are 600 ish bucks.
this is a budget build. i have a boat to build, so im trying to do the turbo pretty cheap for now.
the one i bought isnt bad.
it has the same compressor housing as the one thats on it now,
so the intake plentiums to the discharge hole will work.
it has the later style exhaust housing that will accept the later style bellowed up pipes for the 99.5-03.( the $300ish ones)
i will be purchasing a EBPV delete pedistal, if you carry them, ill be talking to you in the morning.
and if you have the bellowed up pipes i need i will be purchasing them as well..

i just need to know exactly what i have so i dont call you sounding like a moron :D

im thinking this turbo is from an early 99. do you agree?