Towing Mirror addition

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Sure Plus sells tripod towing mirror mounts similar to Ford's OE mirror mount and was thinking that, since I'm having the truck repainted sooner or later, I'd go ahead and convert from the folding mirrors to the tripod mirrors.

Was wondering if the tripod mounts have any special reinforcement behind the door where the legs bolt into the metal?

Also wondering if there's an established technique for putting bondo into the existing bolt holes before painting over them. Seems there'd have to be a piece of metal or something sturdy glued into place behind the door so that the bondo could be placed properly in the door and supported so it doesn't pop out through the door when someone inadvertently presses on it while washing the truck, etc.

Just looking for thoughts...

Thanks,
Mike

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
There is no added reinforcements for the tri-pod mirrors They just use the rivit type nuts.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what gruss said but those things do pull out from after a while if you have the ability i would re-enforce them. just my two cents worth. I need to do it to tanya's truck, the drivers mirror bottom leg is pulling out of the door.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by flatlander
Also, weld the holes shut don't just bondo them.

Could you explain in more detail?? I'm not sure I understand what you mean... need to be able to explain to the body shop so they don't look at me crooked.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get to the back side of the hole, pound it flat with a hammer and dolly then with a wirefeed welder plug the hole. Any body shop worth its salt can do this.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
You need to get to the back side of the hole, pound it flat with a hammer and dolly then with a wirefeed welder plug the hole. Any body shop worth its salt can do this.

Way cool. Thanks for the note... I'll mention this when I take it to the shop for a quote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online