Towing info

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a combined weight rating for my truck...

I recently bought a 26' fifth wheel (that was built back when steel and solid oak were the "in" thing) :D and started dragging it around, it's GVW is 8000 lbs, truck seems to pull it just fine (until I ran it up HWY 17 into santa cruz and got to shift into 2nd a few times...) :rolleyes:

I kept finding mixed info, one rating I saw said that a F250 supercab 4x4 had the same weight rating as a F350 supercab and crew cab... :dunno I always assumed F350's had a higher weight rating. Some sources I read said the F250 had a HIGHER weight capacity that a similar F350... cookoo

Hoping some of you heavy haulers could help me out here...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the sticker GCVWR on my 86 ex-cab long bed was 14,600 lbs. GCVWR being the truck, trailer, cargo, everything. That having been said I know a lot of people are heavier than that even if it's technically illegal. And maybe it isn't *always* illegal. There's usually an interesting thread that develops out of these vehicle weight rating questions.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 94 with turbo should pull that trailer with ease on flat ground. Depending on the grade, sure you will have to shift down, you should be blowing black smoke a little going up a 6% grade, if you don't turn the fuel up a flat or two. Ya gotta keep the RPM's up to at least 1800.

What where the EGT's going up?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Oldbull - It pulls really nice over most flat land, but I was easily hitting 1050 on the pyro before backing it out to second gear... I was almost ready to pull over in the pull out and cool it down, my wife was scared to death as things were beginning to smell hot.

This thing never blows black smoke, Im saving up for a rebuilt pump and injectors as this thing wont hardly start when hot.

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common mis-conception but the sticker on your door has absolutely nothing to do with legal or illegal. What is legal/illegal is defined by the state you are traveling in.

The door sticker shows what the manufacturer defines as an upper limit for the combination of hardware (Engine, trans, driveline, springs etc.) used to build that vehicle.

All that said, I have know idea what the manufacturer GCVW is for your combination of hardware, but I recall a pretty exhaustive list posted here recently.

Bob

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I dont have a 93 owners manual but my 95 says a
95 F250 supercab 4x4 5spd with a 460 and 4:10 gears GCWR is 18,500
95 F250 supercab 4x4 5spd with a 460 and 3:55 gears GCWR is 15,000
Dont know why is doesn't show a 7.3 but that should get you in the ball park of what FORD rates the truck at. As for what you are legal to haul in your state, that is a completly different quetion

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in kali, you can pull a 10k gvw trailer without a cop raising an eyebrow....as long as you don't look like a mobile crack lab.
if you are legal on your axle weights, you are good to go in kali.
WA state will ticket/impound your truck depending on how far over you are. I had to go get a buddy one time due to the fact he was way over. he had a f250 SC with a dually conversion. Even though he was legal as a dually, but not so with the door sticker. result......Ruined Vacation thanks to WA DOT.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
guy here got hit towing a dual axle boat trailer behind his f150. inpounded truck and boat. i also know they will sit outside where guys get firewood from. any half ton truck they see loaded they will normally stop them and ticket em for being overweight.

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you live out in the boonies get farm plates,,,cant remmber what mine are rated but got stopped with a 7000 pound trailer with an old 95 dodge xt cab full size pickup on it full of old rebar in the box as well as the cab along with an old john deere 4 row planter strapped to the top of that stuffed with anything i could find that was made of metal, the dot a@#$!%Fss jus glanced at the trailer said thats a unusual load and then asked if he could dip my tank, was sure glad it was full of oil umo and diesel,,,not red ,,,asked what it was and i told him,,,he took a sample but have never heard a thing about it,,sure glad he didnt weigh me,,,but you can get away with more if youhave farm plates,,,jus tell em everything you r hauln is yours ,,,was hauln it with the 91 f250

Last edited:

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in kali, you can pull a 10k gvw trailer without a cop raising an eyebrow....as long as you don't look like a mobile crack lab.
if you are legal on your axle weights, you are good to go in kali.
WA state will ticket/impound your truck depending on how far over you are. I had to go get a buddy one time due to the fact he was way over. he had a f250 SC with a dually conversion. Even though he was legal as a dually, but not so with the door sticker. result......Ruined Vacation thanks to WA DOT.

Also in Cali you need to have the proper endorsements even if it is an RV trailer.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only if when you exceed 10k gvw on the trailer and you go past 40' OAL.
the bluehairs still have a shitload of voting power here:eek:

I don't see where it says past 40' Over all length.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Recreational Trailer Endorsement

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

* There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
* You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
* You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
* You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
* No other tests are required.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Spark and Fire do you have any idea what the timing is on your truck? Generally speaking a weak IP/injectors won't cause no start hot unless you have the hydraulic head swelling/heat sink issue, but timing too far advanced or too retarded can. Not saying a new pump and set of injectors wouldn't help just that you might not need them just yet.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Spark and Fire do you have any idea what the timing is on your truck? Generally speaking a weak IP/injectors won't cause no start hot unless you have the hydraulic head swelling/heat sink issue, but timing too far advanced or too retarded can. Not saying a new pump and set of injectors wouldn't help just that you might not need them just yet.
his fuel system needs to be overhauled asap.