Tow and Haul RV transporter build

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Mine still has ARMSTRONG steering. Thought I did put radial tires on it, so it's not terrible. Thought about air steering, but so far I've been able to handle it fine.

Boy that brings back old memories-quadraplexes-triplexes-duplexes.One thing that sticks out in my mind is that a B Model wasn't hard to steer-real smooth feel and many turns lock to lock.I remember hating one that had the cab with the concave rear panel -less room.What a relief when the company got U models. (lop sided puppy dogs) We also had some White Mustangs with air assist steering. GOOD OLE DAYS

I just found this thread today-Thanks Mike for occupying most of my day;Sweet
Great reading-lots of thought and nice work went into it.You have impressed me -Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you guys want low profile air seats and don't want to spend $1200 you can alway do what I did and dig around the big truck boneyard and find some passenger seats from an International 9670 cabover. Not all were air seats but the ones that were, , were pancake mounts to fit over that heater box that went under the passenger seat. Some of the International conventional tractors had the heater box under the passenger seat as well. I got an air seat for the drivers side and one with just the fore aft isolator for the passenger side to stick in my f350 It only took me 400 miles across Oklahoma pulling the 5er to convince me I needed it... and the 4 days I spent in bed after chomping pain pills.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
George. I had a big piece of pipe insulation about 3" diameter. Used that to pad the sharp edge and stuff in the hole. The carpet is the same piece we took off the back of the cab when we cut the hole, just sliced both sides down and tucked the edges in. BTW Truck goes straight, handles and rides much better than it did at 177" wheelbase. Thank you metal god:hail

Nice score Freight, wanna double yer money on that seat:D When I removed the air ride and made the solid mount, I left it so it was still adjustable front to back and can slide back and forth to take up some of the chucking. Rode nice like this on my test drive today, very comfy, glad I bought it.

Thank you Vanboy. Make a huge difference on amperage draw too.

OMB, whatchabeendoin,,,,, sleepin.:angel: Thanks for the compliments

RLDSL, I don't even wanna pay $300LOL Good suggestion on a low pro seat. Adapting the base to the Ford cab is easy.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL, I don't even wanna pay $300LOL Good suggestion on a low pro seat. Adapting the base to the Ford cab is easy.

If you catch the right boneyard you can get those things for $50-100 There were so many of those 9670's on the road and nobody ever wants the jump seats for the things, but you don't want to go to the dealer and buy one new. I priced one out they are over $1200 :eek: Only problem I had was finding the colour to match. I found a gray drivers seat to match the interior , but I couldn't find a second one in gray that was in good shape, so I wound up getting a red one for the passenger side and my wife is going to make a cover for it. hopefully I'll be able to find another gray air seat for the thing eventually.

THat seat is so comfortable , I could not survive without it ( seriously screwed up back and neck , basically no disks left) My 5er gives a lot of backslap on the expansion joints on the concrete interstates in some of the surrounding states ( thankfully Arkansas has gone almost entirely back to blacktop ;Sweet I guess if you've been delivering in a pickup you haven't had an air seat till now, but that heavier suspension is going to have you begging for something when running back empty. If nothing else, you might want to pop an extra fuel tank or two on there so you can weigh it down on the way back to keep from getting a dent in the roof and teeth marks in the steering wheel :eek:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
George. I had a big piece of pipe insulation about 3" diameter. Used that to pad the sharp edge and stuff in the hole. The carpet is the same piece we took off the back of the cab when we cut the hole, just sliced both sides down and tucked the edges in.

3'' was perfect ;Sweet bet that makes a nice smooth , painless move from cab to rack :D

tonkadoctor said:
BTW Truck goes straight, handles and rides much better than it did at 177" wheelbase. Thank you metal god:hail

No dogwalk......:thumbsup::thumbsup:
So ya broke her cherry eh:D.....shoulda called, I have the video camera charged and a clear card ......

So...40 acres-------- or more ;p

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3'' was perfect ;Sweet bet that makes a nice smooth , painless move from cab to rack :D

No dogwalk......:thumbsup::thumbsup:
So ya broke her cherry eh:D.....shoulda called, I have the video camera charged and a clear card ......

So...40 acres-------- or more ;p

Had to get the exhaust done on a nice day when he had a stick of 4" in stock. Ya want me to turn in where:rotflmao better gimme 50 acres. Wanna pop down tomorrow or friday and watch me wander all over these skinney twisty roadsLOL

Got the insurance and tags today and ran around getting a few things done that I can't do myself for lack of a few tools that cost more than paying somebody else to do it.

Lowrider bunny hop competition......... Nope, but the sight did draw spectators. Jjust getting the exhaust stretched because it has to exit behind the sleeper. Had them cut off the turn down on the muffler, add 5-1/2' of 4" pipe and weld the turn down back on as well as use 2 hangers for those smooth highways.
You must be registered for see images attach

Baby got new shoes on the steer axle today

Better shot of the seat and mount in daylight

Got it out of the shop without tearing anything up.

Almost done, will be finished in a few days and ready to terrorize the highways. Hopefully get her first load on Monday or Tuesday.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike what's up with the black paint on the front of the sleeper?:dunno

It's an experiment. That's bedliner covering the sleeper seal. Plan to have the sleeper roof, corners, cab corners and rockers shot with bright white bed liner at Dually Depot or Dan's Service Center in Elkhart Indiana.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
That pic ass backwards on the lift is priceless ;Sweet...esp knowing how much is behind the rear wheels :D

new steer meats...high back pilot seat...weather tight sleeper...all that is missing are some fuzzy dice :thumbsup:

Russ said:
Mike what's up with the black paint on the front of the sleeper?

That is a sooper dooper top secret eyes only custom fabrication of cross laminated HDPE flex urethane membrane over dense closed cell, cross linked tubular poly primed with anti "HOOTUS" attacking UV protected layer developed and installed by Mike and I :D

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
It's an experiment. That's bedliner covering the sleeper seal. Plan to have the sleeper roof, corners, cab corners and rockers shot with bright white bed liner at Dually Depot or Dan's Service Center in Elkhart Indiana.

OK I thought maybe it was to stop some glare or something like that.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is officially done and ready to work. Passed her annual Federal inspection with flying colors. Bonus was the Western Star dealer was running a special for FREE!!! inspections this month so it cost me nothing but a little time. Will finish packing out tomorrow morning and get ready to depart for Wakarusa Indiana.

Had a local sign shop do the vinyl lettering for me.

Installed aluminum splash/rock guards front and rear of the drive tires.

Mounted the tool box and bolted 3/4" plywood to the bottom. Without the wood, the heavy metal, like the weight distributing hitch, will punch holes in the thin aluminum as it bounces around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online