Torque converter lockup mod question...

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found the thread that was posted previously about the mod to wire the torque converter lockup on my E4OD up so that it can be put on a switch and turned on/off at drivers' command.

I'm interested in doing this. I'm thinking of putting it on an on/off/on switch, wired so that it can be either off, on, or in the original automatic mode for when the wife or someone else drives it.

So, I'm trying to understand the tranny better. If I have it right, the tranny produces heat, mostly from the friction of the fluid coupling of the torque converter. So, can I assume then that most of this heat would not be happening when the torque converter is locked up?

I'm visualizing climbing a big hill in say 3rd gear, to the floor pulling boost etc, but normally, the converter would unlock when the speed got too low, and then there would be a heat issue. If you can flip the switch and keep it locked even down to a lower speed, then you'd be able to prevent as much heat buildup in the tranny!?

Have I got it right, or am I wrong.

I do plan on a temp gauge in the near future to watch things, and there is an extra tranny cooler in front of the rad, but it's not too large.

Any thoughts...?

Zigg :)

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the E4OD works like the A4LD in my Bronco II, it's totally possible--and it sounds like it is.

Get a double pole switch (three terminal) from RadioShack, and rig it up with the center terminal feeding the lockup wire on the trans, and so the two others have one connected to an always hot wire, and the other to the original lockup wire coming from the computer.

Oh, get one so that it has an off position as well. Switch it one way, and you'll have "auto mode" with the lockup control fed from the computer. Switch it the other way, and it'll be forced on by energizing the lockup solenoid manually. And of course the off position will disable it.

It'll totally reduce heat buildup, and improve economy. One issue I had with my A4LD was coasting to a stop with the lockup engaged--it will want to stall the motor!

My A4LD would only allow lockup in 3rd of 4th though. Is the E4OD the same?

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the lock up is done by fluid pressure--lower speed, lower pressure might be slipping the lockup clutches !

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
It says in the link I posted about unlocking the converter at 1000 rpms, or 25mph. to keep from distroying the converter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online