torque cam in 4.10 truck

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
so ive read up alot about the cam typ4 has introduced to us but all i can find is info on him and his 3.55 truck.... how it feels like a 4.10 truck.

well im interested to hear about a 4.10 truck w/ cam. i feel you might be out of the powerband on the highway unless you have big tires.

i feel down low it would put some great power down. torque cam and e4od? too big of gear spacing? idi zf5 ratios seem near perfect.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Have you read up on that other guys cams? J2 I think. But I know someone had a few different options for better torque ranges.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
IIRC the graph between the type4 cam and the J2 cam was pretty close. The J2 peaking higher in the RPM band, but at a much narrower curve. While the type4 cam hit fast and low, having more area under the curve.

From memory, with an E4OD and its wide gears spacing, I think you'll be happier with the type4 and its longer powerband. Now add some more gears, a turbo, and a hot pump and I think the J2 is a much better cam for that application.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much time you spend towing or driving in a lower rpm range, I have no top end issues "running out of power". just so you know

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much time you spend towing or driving in a lower rpm range, I have no top end issues "running out of power". just so you know

X 2!

Love the long power spread the 206 torque cam gives the crew cab. If you are going to use your truck for what a truck is designed for......... hauling.......... the typ4 cam is the bee's knees!

Heath

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id agree exactly^
looking at the dyno sheet,that cam reaches out and smacks you silly as a street/towing/economy/tugger cam.
the clear winner for a street hauler/tower.
i hope to never require removing my engine but, if i did, Russ' grind would be going in without a thought.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The typ4 cam is the way to go.. I sure would like one of those in my rig.. I sure would like my intercooler installed too.. But I'm lazy... No excuse for being lazy is there...

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
My 86 has one. 4.10's. Not a bad setup. I'll be swapping 3.55 BC its a light load truck.

blackbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive recently installed that cam and just today drove down from LA to OC. the power is there but i still need to iron out some issues before i can truely rate the performance. i have 410s with 35'' tires and the e40d too. crossing the grade from the valley to west LA it seemed to get a little sluggish but when i took it out of OD it pepped back up real quick. this was my first long trip after reinstalling the engine so im still babying the truck and chasing minor hose leaks and weird noises...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
wow thanks guys. im very interested in a cam. does it sound any different at idle or low rpm? or at any speed?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Great. Total sleeper. Im so curious about how different the truck will act. Still need to install my 093 kit