tools diesels are bigger

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey so I've noticed changing oil on these big IDI's filters are much bigger than my other cars... Ahh DUH. with the instructions of 1)spin filter on to contact with filter mount 2) 1 full revolution additional 3) complete... that filter is on pretty tight. I've bent a NAPA (blue handle) oil wrench already... Is there any heavy duty oil wrenches out there???

thx

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Um, I never use a filter wrench to put a filter ON, only to take it off. Hand tight, as tight as you can get it, with a little oil on the gasket, and you're good to go. I was a mechanic for 5 years, and I never had a problem with it before during or after my stint as a mechanic.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I don't even get my idi filter or any other as tight as I can with my hand, even that tight makes it hard to get off. I can don't have a filter wrench big enough for my idi, I'v always been able to get any filter off with my hands and have never had a problem.

-Rob

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea well I've done the same when I use to wrench on cars and light trucks ( dont remember servicing and Diesels. I think that knocking sound scared me away)... just spin on hand tight, little oil on the rubber seal. However when I pulled the old off, and looked at the new, with the 1,2,3,4 I figured it was something different with a Diesel.... Ok, I will just go back to the way I use to do it.. .spin on hand tight and grunt for a little extra... thanks much

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I my experience if you do not put the filter on with a wrench it will vibrate loose.

yep on diesels anyway
you could check with your local snap-on dealer mac matco cornwell what ever you find the better price but they should have something for you

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I my experience if you do not put the filter on with a wrench it will vibrate loose.

I've never had the problem, with both my IDI and my parents old OBS PSD. I go hand tight as far as possible. They are a mother to get off though, we need a filter wrench big enough to take them off. When I first got my truck I have no idea how the put the filter on it so tight, It took a screwdriver and a hammer to get that filter off LOL

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a strap wrench to R&R the oil filters on my truck. The rubber strap wrenches work best, but I even had good luck with a wrench that had a woven cloth strap. They are fairley cheep at most hardware stores.
Jim

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said before they can vibrate loose, but dont worry you will know it when it happens:rotflmao .
Sorry couldnt let it go by..A slow steady pull on the filter wrench will free up the old filter rubber better than a brute force yank.
NEVER use grease, you might as well glue it on.
BTW there are no good filter wrenches anymore, channellock makes a pair of oil filter pliers that I love for doing heavy equipment and they do fit ours.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a rag around it, and hand crank it. But taking 'em off, I use a screw driver and get medievil with it!!

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
craftsman makes a real nice filter wrench that i use everyday. it will go on to a 3/8 rachet or a 3/4 wrench. works real good for theses trucks.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I need. Using a screw driver sucks, and makes a mess. Craftman makes it, huh. That figures, they make damn nice tools.

Marq
If you got a bad head gasket, over torquing will not fix it, and you may break something. A lot of people don't realize what torquing actually does. Each bolt has slight stretch to them, that's what hold them in place. The torque value is the ultimate stretch point in which the bolt will hold. To little, and the bolt does not stretch enough for a proper hold. Too much, and the bolt looses its stretch/holding properties and at a point, will break. If anything, over torque will fatigue the holding ability, and you should at that point toss it. As for the mechanics. Back in the days, any body could and did turn a wrench, but like doctors and lawers, there's the good, bad and the ugly. These days, you have to be a rocket scientist to be a good mechanic, the dumb ones get recalls, while the real mechanics win races and events; and know how to do a job right; always doing proper prep and research, and making sure there's no short cuts, and that'll do her approach.

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one of those contarptions with the two jaws that got several groups of 3 teeth on them, the pivot has 3 positions and fits very well even on our big filters. Tis something like a channel-locks, only for oil filters specifically. As long as I got some space to move my hand to squeeze on the handles nicely, there ain't no filter out there that can stop me - I even ripped off the filter mount of a 350 Chevy once, you can imagine my surprise when after one good pull the filter just dropped down instead of loosening up :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone besides me does this while changing oil filters but honestly I have been doing it since I was 16 ...so something like 27 years..

When you install the filter oil the seal well and spin it on "per instructions" be 3/4 or 1 turn past contact.

Now this is the good part....the seal takes a torsonal twist as the filter gets tightened.... imagine the seal if you will being stressed in one direction

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Now just crack it the opposite direction and counter that twist in the seal ////////////////// now when you remove the filter the seal will "release" that much easier. I have never had a leak from a filter but 99% of the time I can crank it off by hand!