Tool for cutting open oil filters?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Those calvin put up reminds me of a heavy duty can opener. If youre looking homemade thats the route I would take

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
*****clicky*****:D
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/oilfiltertools.html

in the aviation maintence world, it is a requirement to inspect the filter media for metal particles. that's why these guys have so many to choose from.
just hang onto your wallet

I work in aviation, and have a $150 cutter designed for aircraft oil filters. It will not work on my IDI stock filter because the filter's internal threaded hole is much too large, and the aircraft cutters are too small for a 4" diameter IDI filter.

I could modify something, but I already have a million projects to work on.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
yes the make large tubing cutters you can get them from industrial stores. when i was working in the plants a guy in the shop was digging around in an old pile for a "spare" peice of pipe and ran across a cutter that kind of looked like a humungous c clamp with rollers up top and a cutter down bottom that would open up to like 6 or 8in tubing

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
so what is the advantage of cutting your oil filter?

It is an indicator of engine health. It also gives you some time to devise a solution for impending engine failure, should you find metal shavings inside, as opposed to finding out while driving down the highway.

I always inspect the inside of every filter I remove, aircraft or vehicle. Out of dozens I've opened, I found two full of metal, and one was an aircraft.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
yes the make large tubing cutters you can get them from industrial stores. when i was working in the plants a guy in the shop was digging around in an old pile for a "spare" peice of pipe and ran across a cutter that kind of looked like a humungous c clamp with rollers up top and a cutter down bottom that would open up to like 6 or 8in tubing

This is what I was talking about..... I thought I had seen them..... This it the kind of copper tubing cutter I was thinking about. This tool is about the size of your hand, including the adjusting wheel. I thought I had seen one that would be about as long as a slege hammer but the same idea.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Ridgid tool company makes tubing and pipe cutters in many differant sizes. The are 1, 2, 3 or 4 cutter wheels. The 4 cutter wheels are for an area where you have very small spaces and not enough room to turn the tool 360 degrees around the pipe. I'm sure harbor freight has a cheaper version too of these tools or a store simalar to them... Chainese imports is what I'm getting at for tooling.....:D

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
TOW CAT's got the right idea working in the aviation industry the oil filter cutter tools work great when the company actually has one but most mechanics working on airplanes just use the exhaust cutoff tool its cheaper and usually faster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online