To rebuild or replace with a diesel...

kpearson

Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

I have just purchased a 1992 F250 with a 460 gas engine. What I was wondering is it better to rebuild the engine or change it out to a diesel.
As I am not entirely sure about the benefits of the 460, I am looking to find opinions on what one would do with it. There's lots of ads with the 7.3 idi and PS for sale, as well as the 12v and 24v cummins. Cost would be a factor for me. All of them range in the prices of 900 to 8000. And would most likely need rebuilds on them.

kpearson

Reaction score
I will have to check and get back. I totally forgot to see what kind it was. I do know that it's an automatic.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
ok so it prolly has the E4OD. You'll want to consider as part of conversion cost that the 460 doesnt have the same bellhousing pattern as the idi/powerstroke. If you stay automatic, you'll need to get a diesel c6, or E4OD if you go IDI. pros and cons on both choices.

If you go cummins, then you are getting an adapter anyway, and could potentially keep the E4OD. if you go this route research how you will get a reliable tach signal for the trans.

If you want to switch to manual, then that's a whole nother can of pros and cons and cost worms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7