Tire shaving? Homemade?

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I haven't seen any wear from the golf balls in the tire. Actually the balls get worn smooth. The sound of all the balls falling to the bottom when you come to a stop blends right in with the sound of swampers on the street. LOL No I wouldn't do this to my radial M/S street tires but the bias ply square eggs get the golf balls.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand completey that water would distibute itself evenly inside the tire as it would in a centrafuge but evenly distributed weight of water (or golf balls) plus a heavy area of tire is still unbalanced...I'm intrigued but I still don't get it. Thats more rolling resistance as well.

I found a set of wheel air stems in one of my old 33"s but I think that was a mistake lol.

-Rob

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I understand completey that water would distibute itself evenly inside the tire as it would in a centrafuge but evenly distributed weight of water (or golf balls) plus a heavy area of tire is still unbalanced...I'm intrigued but I still don't get it. Thats more rolling resistance as well.

I found a set of wheel air stems in one of my old 33"s but I think that was a mistake lol.

-Rob

Here's a more expensive version demo video: http://www.centramatic.com/howworks.html

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
This is actually something that we on the FSB forums have been looking at for a while. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43333&highlight=drug+smuggling+101 I have not had a chance to do it to my stuff yet, but with 33s, you can imagine that I do not need much. I have seen the video of it working on a few different setups. There was a ring that bolted to the wheel that had like five balls in it. It balanced out when the wheel was spinning. That worked well but I can not explain how.

The way it works on vehicles is there is a heavy spot in the tire. You have to remember the tire is stopped when the tire is in contact with the road. Now, you have to think of it like a tank track...stopped when the track is in contact with the ground. The heavy spot of the tire gets thrown from the top and smacks to the ground causing it to become more and more out of round until it gets fixed. The balls inside/bbs from the link above go to the light spot of the tire, and makes it stay balanced because of the force on them.

SWS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The videos were cool. How do you know how much "balancing media" I.E. how many golf balls to add? Seems to me if you don't get the right number in there, it can't balance itself out? I'm thinking you need 4, but is it 6 or more? :dunno What happens when you hit a rock at speed? Does the ball get kicked and throw the tire into a nasty unbalance for a minute, while they redistribute?

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I just guessed and put 6 in but a couple still wouldn't smooth out so I dropped a couple more in.

If you have more than needed the extras go to opposite sides of the tire perpendicular to the imbalance so they cancel eachother out. I guess too many would be enough to keep them from freely rolling to thier "spot".

I think the worst I felt hitting a bump was a couple jiggles of the wheel. Seems like they find thier spot again within a couple revolutions.

There are other products that use smaller beads but they don't like moisture. Better siuted for on road use where you're not airing down/up all the time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's not homemade, but if you want to get a good look at the real thing, this place makes tire truing machines

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online