Tips to help keep my egt down without takin the smoke away?

zpd307

Reaction score
wow! 400 degrees at highway speeds. mine at idle is 300. they are 600-750 at highways speeds. going up a hill towing a 30ft tt, they maxed out at 1200 with my 6.0 intercooler. i had it wound up as i was passing a slow moving vehicle. now that i have gauges, i can see why lugging the motor is a no no... egts climb really fast, even with no load. you can see them goes really fast when you downshift and get the rpms up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you don't want to blow the cash on an intercooler, you can get a Hypermax cowl induction and that will drop your EGts roughly 300-350 deg across the board along with a nice little power increase

zpd307

Reaction score
i forgot to mention, get a straight through muffler. like the walker btm, it dropped my egts by 200 degrees.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
i forgot to mention, get a straight through muffler. like the walker btm, it dropped my egts by 200 degrees.

or just do a 4" straight pipe

on edit: what would happen if you ran the hypermax cowl induction with and IC? and how is Calvin's truck setup as far as that goes?

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
So I have a 85 6.9 With the ATS kit with the 2000 turbo. i just put a 5 speed out of a 95 powerstoke in it my truck is turned up a little and if i go up any steep hills i have to watch my pyro close so i dont get hot.... and thats without pulling a trailer anyone have any advice for me... it will pull anything on flat ground but the hills worry me...

My advice.....back the pump down, or keep your foot out of it on the hills LOL.

You WILL destroy an engine with extended high EGT's and excessive black smoke all the time.

Black dawg

Reaction score
how much boost?
how much smoke?
what timing?
how far is the pump turned up?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
thats the point **** off the guy behind you hahaha er else mine would be cut back. i aint worried about no tree huggers ima blow as much smoke as i can till we git emissions test around here hahaha

I understand your feeling on this. However, this is the EXACT mindset that WILL get the emissions mandated. As Diesel_Brad said, smoke shows are the ammo needed to get the regulations enacted. I have a newer truck, and it does everything that I ask of it and it blows NO SMOKE at all. I am running 325HP / 590 ft-lb torque without a smoke show. Heave smoke does not equal power it shows an improperly tuned engine.

Sorry, there are not requlations where I live, and I would like to keep it that way. One way is to not roll coal. I am not saying I do not like a good smoke show, but they do have their place. To just **** everyone off, it not the place.

I will step off my soapbox now......

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha. yeah i keep it to where no one is really lookin except the guy behind me. in the middlw of the city a big nono. but yeahi get what yer say ing

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your signature says your timings advanced 12*, thats also where a lot of your heat is coming from.

it was already 4 to7 degrees retarded when i got the truck ran horrible with white smoke all over the place. so in truth its between 5 and 8

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Farr West?!? Hey you aren't too far away from me! Good to have another Utard on the board ;Sweet Do you have the Aurora kit then? Not too many here have that kit... :sly

Take a burn up Sardine or Parleys canyon and work it hard then back off your fuel until you get the EGT's you're after. IDI's get REALLY huffy puffy at our altitude and it doesn't take much to get it hot on the EGT's and Coolant temp. The last thing you want to do is sacrifice reliability and tow ability for a little extra power. Don't worry about smoke or horse power--worry about EGT's and keep it at a safe level--well that's my opinion anyway. The intake snorkel or Cowl intake is a must at very minimum and yes an intercooler will do wonders if you get ambitious. It wouldn't hurt to know where your ip timing is set as that can make a big difference as well.

Andrew

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water/**** system ;Sweet

I don't roll coal but cruising around I get 300° and on hills/hauling less than 600, usually 450-550.

shafermartinez

Reaction score
hahaha i do love the smoke and no i will never buy a cummins lol well maybe the engine but not the truck and inter-cooler will be my project for the summer and if that does not help i will prob turn it down a little. and i dont have a boost gauge in my truck my aurora 2000 does not have a spot to tie into it so i dont know the best way to go about it

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Turn the fuel screw down.

Peeps with attitudes like Yours, are gonna screw the rest of Us with Our trucks tuned properly.

Alls it takes is one Enviro Terrorist to see You running around with You smoke belching truck to call and complain. One of these people is going to be the straw that broke the camels back.

I wonder how loudly You'll complain when they mandate a DPF to Your rig?

Tune Your Truck PROPERLY!