Timing for running W85

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone running W85 change their timing for running this type of fuel? I have my timing set to about 9.3 to 9.4 advance currently. Should I advance more for the W85 or should I retard the timing back a little. Seems to me that the engine is quieter while on the W85 so would that indicate that the timing should be slightly advanced more?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel your just fine but.. I'm not sure what W85 fuel is at this point. Never had a reason to know. But just because the engine sounds softer does not mean you should advance it any.. My suggestion is if you have a way to time the engine try advancing it. See how that feels and sounds. But remember you may end up running straight diesel too. Then what will you have to do... Too bad we can't manually adjust timing to suit the fuels we have to run in differant areas..

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran w85 all winter long, and it was quiet advanced a few degrees. Started running regular diesel, and I think it needs to be retarded some more as its a clackity sob now.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use W90 in my truck for the last 11,000 miles, Timing? wish I knew what it is, I did bump it up when I was in the middle of a road trip, it seemed to smoke too much being a bit retarded. All I have to time is the marks in the gear case and pump, I am almost lined up straight but still a hair to the retard side.

I get about 12/13 mpg using W90 WMO+stale boat gas with Diesel she shoots up to 20mpg, so I am researching a newer way to blend the W90 now.

Javier

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fellas. My "W85" blend is now 85% WMO and 15% RUG with a good splash of diesel kleen in it. Seems kind of ironic to put the diesel kleen in but I did some reading on the bio fuel forum and some guys there talked like it helped cut down on the smoke and I figured it couldn't hurt anything. Getting ready to flush the tranny in my wife's accord so I will have several quarts of ATF to blend with my next batch. Truck runs great on the fuel though and it seems like I am getting great mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online