Timing an engine...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1113735-aligning-the-pump-gear.html
This thread on FTE shows a possible way to check the gear alignment. He uses plumbers putty on a putty knife. He puts WD40 on the putty both sides. I would be concerned that the putty would fall off and into the crankcase if WD40 was on the putty knife.
Dig around here in SEARCH and you will find that was covered already in some previous thread.

The basic start is to get engine to TDC on ign/comp stroke, remove oil filler so you can see the timing gear and IP 12pt bolts, if they align like Gary showed the IP is suspect if not, then gear timing is suspect...bottom line this won't be that difficult to do.

gwh98926

Beer Geek
Reaction score
what I did when trying to time my new motor, I thought it was 1 tooth off after trying to time and closest I could get was 18 degrees, ran like crap no power and smoked bad. I tries using a fiber optic camera to see the marks at TDC and even with the 1/4" end I could not see the timing marks. I did not want to have to pull water pump and front cover so I bent a 1/16" weld rod at the very tip and ground a point on it, I was able to not only feel the marks on the front of the cam gear but tell the difference between the round timing mark and the V to tell if it was 180 out. I got it to TDC , found the V mark, marked the valley where the V was in the cam gear with a sharpie, set the IP drive gear in the correct spot then reinstall the gear cover. It worked great for me :dunno

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I say remind him that he's paying shop labor and let him make the decision on which way to go. If you have a known good pump, install it and you can tell that way without tearing the front of the engine apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin