TIME TO MAKE THIS TRUCK LOOK GOOD......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon!
I have been working on this truck for a couple of weeks now.
ive replaced the 6.9 for a 7.3T
done a lot of other things like wiring, and other things to make this truck road worthy.
I need to give it a 4" lift, but not until the body is in better condition.
today I purchased new doors because the old ones are shot.
ripped sheetmetal, and pure garbage.
my question is what would you do to transform this truck from the tweeker mobile look,
to a decent looking vehicle?

I don't have much coin to spend on getting a professional paint job done, so I looking at either,
A) blasting it with 36 grit sandpaper, and using the do-it-yourself linex kits
B) just shooting it with a single stage satin enamel.

what would you do?
what have you done?

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You could always do the rattle can flat black look. Lol
Imo, the full body line-x is cool, but kind of tacky also. Not to mention, your whole truck may rust out from under it.
I would do a good diy job.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sand and rattle can camo...or basic industrial enamel paint that come in several colours and some places can mix a custom colour too....easy to spray...wears well...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gets mixed reviews for longevity but, for probably $150 (couple gallon of primer and a couple gallon of paint) you could do a full paint job in the tractor supply implement paint. It sprays easy. It's catalyzed so its somewhat durable and I would guess if you keep a decent wax job on it to slow down the UV, it would look pretty good for quite a while. I'd probably go with something a little less aggressive than 36 grit though if you are going to paint it. If the paint is relatively well attached, maybe a 180-220 and then shoot the primer on it? If not, 80 grit and a couple coats of primer to take the bulk of the sanding scratches out followed up with some wet sanding.

My 2 cents.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a cheap diy paint job on an old 77 chevy truck I had. Patched up some rust and did some quick body work. Then sanded down everything with 180 and a d/a. Bought van sickle from orshlens. 2 coats of primer sealer let that flash off for about 30 minutes and then 2 good coats of international off white. It honestly turned it better than I expected. The thick tractor enamel covered the 180 scratches and laid down good an smooth. Truck looked pretty good from about 20ft.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever the outcome, the final color will be olive drab green.
im trying to do this for pretty cheap. the line x way seems kind of tacky to me also, hence the reason for this thread!
I just don't want it to look like some ****** bag that just went out and bought a diesel, and don't give a (****)
because I do care.
I know that whatever I do will only last 4 years max, at that point in time, ill be richer and beable to do a nice paint job.

the replacement doors I purchased were brown. so I sanded the door jams with 120 and rattle canned them. so that it wont look stupid when I opened my door.

now, im kind of a custom guy ,i like my rides to stand out. I got a wild hair up my a$$ today and cut up a old hood I had from a 65 T-bird.
im gonna zip screw it to the old hood for now to see how I like it. don't worry, ill weld it in soon, if I go that route!
all comments welcome. positive as well as trash talking!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. I'd probably go with something a little less aggressive than 36 grit though if you are going to paint it.

My 2 cents.

oah so right! I would be hitting it with a 220 final before I shoot it

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at this stuff and thinking of doing the exterior of my truck with it. Doesn't seem to have the draw backs other DIY bed liners have and has gotten good reviews. And you can even get it in OD Green!
http://monstaliner.com/

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that whatever I do will only last 4 years max, at that point in time, ill be richer and beable to do a nice paint job.

Then dont put tacky looking half ass bed liner on it!!!! Ever tried to remove large amounts of bedliner......?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever the outcome, the final color will be olive drab green.
im trying to do this for pretty cheap. the line x way seems kind of tacky to me also, hence the reason for this thread!
I just don't want it to look like some ****** bag that just went out and bought a diesel, and don't give a (****)
because I do care.

the replacement doors I purchased were brown. so I sanded the door jams with 120 and rattle canned them. so that it wont look stupid when I opened my door.

now, im kind of a custom guy ,i like my rides to stand out. I got a wild hair up my a$$ today and cut up a old hood I had from a 65 T-bird.
im gonna zip screw it to the old hood for now to see how I like it. don't worry, ill weld it in soon, if I go that route!
all comments welcome. positive as well as trash talking!

That's not half bad. It would be unique. The lines actually work out pretty well. Flatten the crease in the factory hood in front of it and....yeah I think you'd have something.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
six cans of zinc chromate primer from H-D will completely cover your CC. Kelly-Moore has mil-spec desert camo tan and EU forest green if that bakes your noodle right. My TX rig "Brentwood" is getting the desert Camo tan treatment so it can resist oil stains from getting worked on. flat colors soak up too much oil like a sponge.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is rhino lined. One of the previous owner did it. IT doesn't look to bad from a distance. Now if you are up on it it looks pretty crappy. (Hood is starting to peel off) I'm going to remove the liner off the truck. I've used a heat gun and a scrapper for a trial to see how that works. Yep it works very slowly and even removes the white original paint with it. So down to either primer or bare metal it goes. I'm going to try airline paint removal next to see how it acts.

Once I get this hodge podge job off I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Paint it or redo the rhino liner again. But as I get a panel cleared I spray it with a good ol can of black primer.

Funny thing who ever did this.. Did not spray inside of the bed where it's suppose to go. LOL

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
3KP, could you post a pic of your truck?

Ive only seen jeeps that were done in rhino liner, one was a show rig that rhino liner brought, Looked really good, but I would expect it too as it was a show jeep that they made.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan to keep the truck, do paint. If you do the liner, it will cause more headache down the road when you want to do it better.
Travis..