Time for Fuel pump upgrade

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Mr. Gasket #12d fuel pump from auto zone on my truck probably 3 months ago, looks like it is already crapped out on me. Truck was surging on me a couple nights ago, saw my fuel filter wasn't full so I figured I'd change the element in it (original seperator replaced with one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/dutton-lainson-reg-goldenrod-reg-495-fuel-filter-3958244) changed filter element, worked fine for probably 75 miles back to same thing. Checked fuel pressure after filter 0psi under WOT, before filter 3psi WOT. I occasionally run some wmo and used atf when I can get it form work so, also I might get the opportunity to get all of the WVO I can burn from the school where my wife works. Although when running any kind of waste oil I don't mix it any thicker than 50/50. Should I chance the Carrier pump from gen lightning, or should I get either a holley red or carter p4070?? Let me know what your experiences are............

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About all a holley red is good for is takeing up space behind the rear seat. Once they were a great pump. I ran one for probably 100,000 plus miles. It finally ate itself up. The brushes ate into the copper rotor. So I installed my spare holley red. It lasted about 6 months. Seems the company went to mexico for cheaper labor and the quality control and workmanship design chaged. I still have a spare but its not something I ever want to depend on... The Carrier pumps are designed to pump diesel. They are the same pump you find on every refer unit going down the interstates.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pulling my carrier and going back to a mechanical because it won't pump thick fuels. I have a 50-50 mix in the truck now and fuel pressure goes to 0 as soon as I switch to that tank. If you run regular diesel it is a great pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've run 50/50 WMO with a Holley Red and the Carter with no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online