Tick/Click/Clack

Brian085

Reaction score
I guess I'll start with pulling the valve covers once I figure out what I need to look for. Seems like any play, or strange looking wear?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Check for bent pushrods too. It should be fairly easy to find where the tick is coming from when the engine is running/idling. You can place your hand on each rocker while its moving up and down and maybe feel for any abnormalities. However, you may get a little oily when doing this but this is a good way of finding if something is wrong with valvetrain. Make sure engine is nice and hot before checking so you can replicate the noise.

Brian085

Reaction score
The missing when cold and smoke wouldn't be valve related would it? That would mostly be injectors correct?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to clean up dirty lifters is to purchase a Wix 51734XE oil filter and use a Synthetic oil, that oil filter will catch much smaller particles that lodge themselves into the lifters wich have the tightest clearences inside the IDI engine.
And also that filter will last over 15,000 miles allowing the lubricant extra life due to extra cleaning capability and capacity.

A Win Win when correcting a faulty lifter. If your going to buy oil/filters, just buy the best available, at the end it was much cheaper.

Javier

Brian085

Reaction score
I figure the miss when cold is from a dead glow plug causing a cylinder to misfire until it warms up.. I'm going to test them all when I get a chance. I'm then going to crack each injector line and see if that causes the tick to go away. Then I will remove the valve cover and inspect around inside there. If everything seems straight in there I would assume that leads to a lifter sticking? If so I'll do a good oil change and see what that does to it.

Grass Hauler

Reaction score
Dont mean to steal a thread but hoping this one doesn't die quite yet.
Mine is really only making the noise after warming up. Also it has been coming and going at times while driving and idling. It has gotten cold here so I have been dumping quite a bit of Howes anti gel in with #2fuel and really running the **** out of the truck, pulling heavy and lots of idling when near zero. After the last snow storm it started to be more intermittent which leads me to believe it might be an injector. I will loosen the injector lines when the noise is loud and I have the time. Any thoughts on this? Yes it needs a new fuel system but I dont want to buy that and find out it needs something else to cure the noise.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always try a heavy dose of your favorite fuel system cleaner such as seafoam, and see if that clears up your engine noise. If your engine has the stock IP and injectors, I would first look at those items. Typically, injectors show their "dark side" at the first start-up of the day, not when the engine is warm.....in most cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online