Throttle Cable Adjustment?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hop ya'll can help me with this one... I think I may had "adjusted" my throttle cable somehow while being on top of the engine at some point messing with stuff.... I was wondering, how can I adjust this cable so I can get my go pedal back? I'm only topping out at MAYBE 2500 rpm down a hill! It seems gutless honestly..... and the pedal only has an inch of movement.... never was like that before.... :dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam-
there's no adjustment. the red plastic is also very brittle. if there are no broken pieces that are caught in the movement, it's time for a new one.-cuss

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
So what is the fix for this lousy throttle cable then? A new one? ERRR!!!! Cause basically it's like I have no pedal, if I could push it down more i'd have plenty of go-go....!! It just runs out of space!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$75 at the stealership or if you can wait I can send a couple good used ones if you pay for the postage. I will be home in a week.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
or like myself, you can strategically break the rest of the plastic off.

but than again I keep a boat afloat with duct tape and baling wire.....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could get an aftermarket deal from NAPA only thing is it's not a perfect fit. SOme people here know how to make it work...I'm not one of them. I don't know if its enough cheaper to justify the hassle but I'll look it up and post back,
JD

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a throttle cable at Autozone one time. Seemed to work fine and was cheaper than the stealership. You probably get what you pay for though (I sold the truck shortly after, so ??) LMC sells a cable for diesels 92-96 (Part # 43-4547 $24.95)

Last edited:

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Well...... If ya'll say the aftermarket ones arent as good..... I'd be happy to pay some postage on a used one......... :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before going too far, have someone SLOWLY work the pedal, while you observe what is going on.

My bet is that the red plastic guide, inside the spring, at the engine-end of the cable has chipped-off, and is thus hanging up in the spring, not allowing full throttle action.

Mine done this about fifteen years ago, actually sticking the throttle at full wide open; then, after carefully digging out the offending broken-off piece, about every third time the throttle would bind up and refuse to go farther.

I carefully re-contoured the open end of the broken plastic sleeve to where it has worked good as new ever since.

As already stated, you can also CAREFULLY break out the entire plastic sleeve and things will work fine.

Also, as old as these trucks are getting, I highly recommend completely taking the cable out, hanging it straight up and down, and flooding it with WD40, or some other moisture-displacing lubricant.

After a good flushing/soaking with the WD40, heat the entire length to pretty hot with a heat-gun, then squirt generous amounts of engine-oil inside the cable-housing.

After mine kept insisting on freezing solid while driving in the cold, I did the above maintenance, and it works better than new.;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a napa cable and it works fine, there aren't too many ways to build a throttle cable.

I put heat sleeve over them where they go by the turbo after seeing one melt, good preventative measure.