the zf5 swap is finally done!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
save your money. I've never had a failure on a ZF5 due to overheated trans.
I'm grossing more than twice of what most lug around. F450's are usually lugging around 15k-21k if you expect to make any revenue. trans never complained. the ZF6's are a whole different animal. They do need external oil cooling.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm grossing more than twice of what most lug around. F450's are usually lugging around 15k-21k if you expect to make any revenue. trans never complained. the ZF6's are a whole different animal. They do need external oil cooling.

I'm not buying them, he is working on an NV4500 and wanted pics for ideas! :) I just keep a diesel favorites folder full of junk...when I take the time to name it, I can find it, otherwise, it's a crap shoot! Someone posted them on here, I saved the link figuring someone would want it later.

zpd307

Reaction score

:dunno i also had a guy from another transmission shop and parts warehouse, zumbrota bearing and gear, tell me to get some coolers. he was not trying to sell me anything. he said he has seen a lot of overheated zf5s come in. i look at it as a better to be safe then sorry. plus, this tranny has hellacious roll over noise. did i hear something about this meaning the tranny is weak and needing a rebuild. it takes about a 1k in rpms for it to go away.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:dunno i also had a guy from another transmission shop and parts warehouse, zumbrota bearing and gear, tell me to get some coolers. he was not trying to sell me anything. he said he has seen a lot of overheated zf5s come in. i look at it as a better to be safe then sorry. plus, this tranny has hellacious roll over noise. did i hear something about this meaning the tranny is weak and needing a rebuild. it takes about a 1k in rpms for it to go away.
i have physical proof from my carrier. three transmissions with a total of 890k chassis miles. One died due to a leaky PTO, the second due to a cracked bellhousing/case. It's currently on it's third. if they're getting overheated, there's something very wrong with someone's driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online