The week from hell!!!!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Its been a rough week for my truck and the shop.

6 month old dorman accelerator cable from advance broke when i was stepping into the throttle to cross an intersection. That made for an ass puckering moment. Idled it a mile till i got to a point where i could get off to a safe place. Man did i **** some people off!

But here's the notable moment. My glow plug solenoid STUCK closed so my glow plugs stayed energized till it killed both batteries to the point where the starter would just click. Didn't realize what was going on, swapped batteries and in the process noticed the huge arc when i attached one battery. Checked for a draw, holy hell it wasn't a damn draw. Replaced the solenoid. Finished replacing the batteries and went to check the glow plugs. 3 of the 8 burned out. I will be replacing the whole set. But they ALL came out. I couldn't tell you how long they were on but long enough to drain 2 65's. :eek::eek::eek:

if anyone forgot, i was running the 60g delco glow plugs.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

6 month old dorman accelerator cable from advance broke when i was stepping into the throttle to cross an intersection. That made for an ass puckering moment. Idled it a mile till i got to a point where i could get off to a safe place. Man did i **** some people off!

But here's the notable moment. My glow plug solenoid STUCK closed so my glow plugs stayed energized till it killed both batteries to the point where the starter would just click. Didn't realize what was going on, swapped batteries and in the process noticed the huge arc when i attached one battery. Checked for a draw, holy hell it wasn't a damn draw. Replaced the solenoid. Finished replacing the batteries and went to check the glow plugs. 3 of the 8 burned out. I will be replacing the whole set. But they ALL came out. I couldn't tell you how long they were on but long enough to drain 2 65's. :eek::eek::eek:

Dad gum man, what a day! You might be able to resurrect those dead batteries on a slow charger for about a week (if you have any need for them), but it's common to get one cell out of the six that will short and never come back to life.

On the glow plug relay sticking, it makes you want to add a big red dash light hooked right up to the glow plug bus showing when the glow plugs are getting power. That would have tipped you off right away that something was amiss, plus it would be helpful for troubleshooting other glow plug system issues.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad gum man, what a day! You might be able to resurrect those dead batteries on a slow charger for about a week (if you have any need for them), but it's common to get one cell out of the six that will short and never come back to life.

On the glow plug relay sticking, it makes you want to add a big red dash light hooked right up to the glow plug bus showing when the glow plugs are getting power. That would have tipped you off right away that something was amiss, plus it would be helpful for troubleshooting other glow plug system issues.

I thought I was the only person who did that. Red LED wired to the hot side of my GPs. When they have any power it's on.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score

Thats what i like about the GM 6.2 system. the glow plug light is connected to the glow plugs them self, easier to diagnose

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I bought a new accelerator cable yesterday, just to throw in the tool box for a spare. I was almost tempted to go ahead and install it but maybe I should wait till my trusty Ford original breaks.

LARRY RANALLO

Reaction score
i bet the two wires that feed each row of plugs got cooked after being on for so long, thy are small #10 gage i think, only for short useage. but only three plugs burned out thats strange. delco????

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
What a week indeed...guess I need to think about wiring up a light to mine before I have the same trouble.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
that is a GREAT idea on putting a light on the hot side of the glow plugs.

i think i will do that if/when i change my plugs to manual control. is there any particular type of bulb i should use?

wmoguy

Reaction score
man that sucks about the GPs!! I gotta admit the GPs on these things just give me ulcers. After having to drop a bunch of cash to get swollen plugs outta my 94 I'm just not a fan of them.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
man that sucks about the GPs!! I gotta admit the GPs on these things just give me ulcers. After having to drop a bunch of cash to get swollen plugs outta my 94 I'm just not a fan of them.

Well every delco plug came out. None of them were swelled. I shoved them back in because at the time i was checking them i didnt have any of my spares with me. So i gave it a little whiff of ether from the push button system and off we went. Came home today and swapped them all out for some zd1's.

I'm just glad none of them swelled up and i have a backup ether injection kit. I do carry a spray can of ether just in case but...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How easy does your truck start in the morning without ether? With my group 31s mine will start in about 20 seconds of cranking and not miss a beat. With Glowplugs it will fire right when I hit the key. It just needs head work to stop all the oil consumption lol.