The Turbo is in

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So is the MBRP XP Series Powersmoke 4" exhaust and muffler with the polished 5" tip - haha funny to see that poking out the back of a 26 year old truck! Must say the exhaust sounds throatier but still fairly muffled which is what I wanted anyway.

I haven't been able to turn my DB2 back up after having turned it back a flat and a half two weeks ago to reduce smoke. It started raining like hell here and it hasn't let up.

I took 'er out for a drive and while there is absolutely no smoke anymore - and a bit more power though I'm not hearing the turbo spin - I have another vehicle with a turbo so I'm very aware of what it's supposed to sound like. I don't have a boost gauge yet either so I'm doing this by the seat of my pants.

I'm thinking the jury is out till I turn up the DB2 and change my fuel filter. That was one hell of an install. Yipes. At least it starts and rolls still :)

Last edited:

bigrigdom

Reaction score
I have the Banks turbo on my rig with a straight piped exhaust coming out in front of my passenger side rear tire and I rarely, if ever, hear any turbo whine. I dont make much boost(7-8 psi max) and that may be the reason, but i only hear it at low speed. when im balls to the wall all I cant hear it at all. but you have an ats so it may be completely different. Sorry if this doesnt help any but i've been drinkin some whiskey and just felt like jumpin in. :dunno
Dom

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i just got mine in last night and i can hear it driving around not to loud now that i got the exhaust patched up though. i got real exited when all i was running was the down pipe. sounded mean just like a rig with a nice loud constant whistle.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't tell what you can get out of it till you turn up the pump a bit. Hopefully you're not disappointed. It makes them a lot better but not a PSD or a Cummins. Most people turn their pump up for a turbo you still have yours turned down. Not gonna do much for power. You really should plumb in a boost gauge since they are cheap and you don't want to blow a head gasket. If you do, don't blame it on the turbo that head gasket design is a ticking time bomb, but it usually blows to the outside and doesn't cause a lot of damage unless you just ignore it long term.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
It's wastegated so 8psi really shouldn't cause any trouble. But I do plan on getting a pyro and boost gauge when I can scrape together some more pennies.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Without this magical piece of opaque glass how the hell do I know what's too dark?

Also I presume a "flat" is just that - what it takes to bring the next flat adjacent to the current one (that is flat) to a full horizontal position - if an allen wrench has 8 surfaces it's 1/8th of the circumference - correct?

---
PROCEDURE FOR CHECKING AND SETTING OPACITY
DO NOT FOREGO THE OPACITY CHECK. An opacity card, a square
piece of smoke colored Plexiglas is supplied with each
system and should be used with each installation.
Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature. Rev the
engine to about 2000 RPM and hold for 10 seconds to clean
out the system. Next, set the engine idle to 700-800 RPM.
Use a stand or have someone hold the opacity sight gauge
(included with kit) a few inches above the exhaust tail pipe
outlet. Set the park brake and put the truck in neutral.
Set the passenger side mirror so that the tail pipe is
visible from the drivers seat.
NOTE; (Test must be done outside or in natural light using
a white background such as a white wall or white paper
mounted on a board) Push the throttle to the floor rapidly
while looking in the rear view mirror. At elevations under
3000 feet, the color of the exhaust smoke during the snap
throttle test should not be as dark as the card. Above 3000
feet, the exhaust smoke during the snap throttle test can
equal but be no darker than the card.
Check at least 3 times to be sure of an accurate reading.
If the exhaust is darker than the sight gauge, turn back the
injection pump fuel delivery screw until the exhaust is no
darker than the gauge.

tractorman86

Reaction score
well an allen wrench has 6 sides so one flat is 1/6th of a turn. like the exerpt says aim your mirror at it and if you can still see things through your exhaust call it good.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you already had a pyro I'd make that the priority! The boost gauge is cheap you want the ISSPRO 0-15 manifold pressure gauge, it shouldn't set you back more than $35 plus shipping. The pyro could be expensive or you might get lucky and be able to cobble something together for cheap.

FordGuy100

Reaction score

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Turned up one and a half to two flats. HOOOYA.

Yeah I can hear the whine now. And it's like the four men of the apocalypse are behind the truck now. Yeah baby.

Bad news: something has occurred to my power steering - as I approached the house I noticed at a turn when the engine wasn't under power that it was very hard to turn.

Stopped, at a parking lot - noticed alot of white smoke and that smell. Popped the hood. Power steering fluid everywhere.

Just got home going to wait for the truck to cool down a bit before trying to diagnose it.

Well the turbo has solved the power issue. It easily will drive faster than I'm comfortable to drive it now and I'm no slouch.

Were it not for the PS issue I'd be ecstatic. As opposed to just pleased.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea they seem to take a dump on everything when you turbo them. Most of the time they can tell you are getting ready to turbo them and everything breaks before hand. Just put a new pump in it (if thats what's wrong) and be happy thats all it decided to throw at ya with its turbo tantrum.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
A paradox wrapped in an enigma. None of the hoses have burst from what I can tell. The power steering fluid reservoir reads full with the engine not running and at about 150 degrees. Engine oil is fine, brake fluid is fine.

The fluid seems to be focused on the passenger side - but that makes sense given the rotation of the fan. But seems to be mostly focused on the bottom half of the engine. Valve cover gaskets intact. Oil line, injector lines look OK.

Any ideas? None of the PS hoses seem to be the culprit - could the bottom of the pump have cracked or something and I just cannot see it? The other thing is that if I've lost PS, and there's oil everywhere *** is all this PS fluid coming from?

Err I'm stumped.