The New Guy (FNG)

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all new here to the forums just got myself an IDI and am excited and a little apprehensive at the same time. She has 366 on the clock and didn't come from the most of caring homes. PO used her as a light duty farm truck for about 6 years never really hauled anything. Upon purchase I had mice in the cab, mice in the air filter housing and chances are mice still in places unknown. Less than new oil, an air filter that almost made me cry and the white smoke that poured out of the exhaust could of burned off my eye brows. Oh and not to mention the pass side manifold had 1/4 of a gasket missing ( wish I took some pictures of that job). Since I brought her home three weeks ago I have attempted to give this truck some room to breath. New air filter (motorcraft), new oil (delo), a heavy amount of fuel additive Diesel Kleen cetane boost and slim x for dirty fuel, a new fuel filter and a good cleaning of the crap built up in the valley and areas of the engine compartment, a new manifold gasket, and sitting in the back of my jeep 4 gallons of peak fleet charge and all new rad hoses. I have a mechanical background that started in small engines and brought me to pretty much doing whatever I can learn and get my hands on. More new parts will come in time when the budget permits but I figured I would start with the basics. The fuel additives and new filter seemed to fix my heavy white smoke problem, the exhaust is clear at idle and occasionally will puff a little white but nothing to write home about. The manifold came out after 6 broken bolts later a welder a torch and some big grade 8 nuts to wrench on. I'm pretty sure besides the coolant flush next on the to do list should be some glow plugs and a new harness as I have to cycle the plugs twice for it to turn on. The relay does some double clicking and than will smooth out with some single clicks. The wires on the plugs are toast and I don't plan on salvaging them. I have been pretty diligent with my research as far as putting the right parts in so I don't have to do it twice. The first advice or comments I am looking for as of now is should I buy a harness or make my own and if making my own how I should go about this. I'm looking forward to joining the clan here. Thanks a bunch guys and gals

Last edited:

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The harness is unavailable. Use Motorcraft ZD-9 glow plugs and do a search for connectors here on the forum, someone recently posted some good looking connectors that work well. Check the connector between the controller and the solenoid on the fender, it tends to crumble due to heat and may need to be bypassed, it's a large plastic harness connector that makes to easier to remove the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all new here to the forums just got myself an IDI and am excited and a little apprehensive at the same time. She has 366 on the clock and didn't come from the most of caring homes. PO used her as a light duty farm truck for about 6 years never really hauled anything. Upon purchase I had mice in the cab, mice in the air filter housing and chances are mice still in places unknown. Less than new oil, an air filter that almost made me cry and the white smoke that poured out of the exhaust could of burned off my eye brows. Oh and not to mention the pass side manifold had 1/4 of a gasket missing ( wish I took some pictures of that job). Since I brought her home three weeks ago I have attempted to give this truck some room to breath. New air filter (motorcraft), new oil (delo), a heavy amount of fuel additive Diesel Kleen cetane boost and slim x for dirty fuel, a new fuel filter and a good cleaning of the crap built up in the valley and areas of the engine compartment, a new manifold gasket, and sitting in the back of my jeep 4 gallons of peak fleet charge and all new rad hoses. I have a mechanical background that started in small engines and brought me to pretty much doing whatever I can learn and get my hands on. More new parts will come in time when the budget permits but I figured I would start with the basics. The fuel additives and new filter seemed to fix my heavy white smoke problem, the exhaust is clear at idle and occasionally will puff a little white but nothing to write home about. The manifold came out after 6 broken bolts later a welder a torch and some big grade 8 nuts to wrench on. I'm pretty sure besides the coolant flush next on the to do list should be some glow plugs and a new harness as I have to cycle the plugs twice for it to turn on. The relay does some double clicking and than will smooth out with some single clicks. The wires on the plugs are toast and I don't plan on salvaging them. I have been pretty diligent with my research as far as putting the right parts in so I don't have to do it twice. The first advice or comments I am looking for as of now is should I buy a harness or make my own and if making my own how I should go about this. I'm looking forward to joining the clan here. Thanks a bunch guys and gals

What an awesome intro...

Welcome to OB

Looks like you are well on your way to a devent ride. What year and body style trans 2 wd 4wd what?

If you dig up "my big blue ox" build thread and start flipping through the images quick you will find the correct replacement ends for gp harness.

I reccomend just replacing ends as harness iz usually ok.

There should be some pics and descriptions of feed wires and so forth.

Good luck and keep posting

The harness is unavailable. Use Motorcraft ZD-9 glow plugs and do a search for connectors here on the forum, someone recently posted some good looking connectors that work well. Check the connector between the controller and the solenoid on the fender, it tends to crumble due to heat and may need to be bypassed, it's a large plastic harness connector that makes to easier to remove the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found NEW OEM parts on fleabay all the time..in stock in shop is a brand new IH model gp harness and gp controller I picked up off fleabay....just sayin stuff is out there...

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Knowing the year and engine size will help this forum advise you on what parts to repair the glow plug system. Some 6.9 engines used a motorcraft ZD1 plug and some used the motorcraft ZD9 plug. All 7.3 engines have the ZD9 with a solid state controller. If you figure out how many miles are on the injectors and injection pump please tell this board. Anything more than around 125,000 miles is considered worn out. You will find someone is online here 24 7 365. Its like this forum never sleeps.

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I tried to get enough detail in there to alleviate questions on what has been done. here are a couple youtube links of some vids I took the first is what I am hoping is just injector knock and the second is the white smoke and exhaust leak it used to have. I will post some more vids soon but this is what I have for now.

https://youtu.be/M8d6Qxp32tY

https://youtu.be/Ky-NJ2XWaI4

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. ;Sweet
Nice looking rig

How did you go about getting the mice crap from the engine?
Mine had been sitting top side of engine had 2 inches or rat crap pressure washing just turned it into a crap soup :eek:

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't too serious just a nice bed in the dash behind the heater controls I vacuumed it all out along with a dead mouse. Ha! amazing how people let these trucks go. In the intake there were just some acorns and leaves and a cap to a quart of oil.... I not sure the old man I bought it from ever really looked inside. This poor thing was a wreck.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely picked the right truck/engine to resurrect. Good luck and welcome to the site.

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you think so, The knock makes me nervous as I am a little new to these motors. I'm hoping it's just worn injectors. I plan on taking another video later that's a little more clear.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the OB.
That white smoke probably is nothing to worry about, with a cold engine and gunning it like that, your gonna get some. Look at the injectors and IP, if there still Gray painted then there OEM. With 366K on the clock there at the end of life.

I've still got 1 GP harness and 2 GP controllers left. PM me if wanted.

Here is the GP harness end connectors, if your just gonna replace them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271794433516

If you run out of fuel at a 1/4 tank or less, then the pickup screen has deteriorated or fallen off. Pic below.

I would certainly check all the rubber hoses on the fuel supply and return to tank. If any of the return hose between injectors don't show signs of wetness, leave them alone, other wise if they are, they need to be replaced. Ebay is mostly junk. " type4 or Agnem " have good kits, PM them. http://conestogadiesel.com/support/fuelinjectionservicingadvice.html

Before you do anymore maintenance, ask on here. Lots of good info.

When you go to change the coolant, there is 2 plugs to drain the block, 1 on each side toward the rear, pass side is behind the starter.

Attachments

• Shower head.JPG
    Shower head.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The white smoke was really heavy when I first bought it but since I ran some additives to clear up whatever nonsense was in the tank it cleared up 90%. Now its clear at idle and only puffs a little on a big rev. I live in North Providence RI I will fix that in my profile to show it. I didn't really get to tinkering today, had to finish christmas shopping. Ended up ordering a thermostat from ford RT-1049 which I have read is the only one to use. I am a little iffy on the flush. I was going to drain, replace the hoses, put a couple bottles of prestone radiator flush and top off with distilled water let it run and drain after a couple hours. My question is, should I get a flush t and run some hose water through to clear out the detergent or should draining the radiator flush chemical cocktail be sufficient. Any other tips or pointers would be appreciated. I have read through tons of tutorials and took bits of pieces from each but still unsure.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need distilled water for the flush as long as it's not well water, city tap water is just fine. Prestone don't do much good. personally it's a waste of money.

Here is the harness and controller pics. Ya need the t'stat just #20.

*** the manage attachments won't work, will try later.

OK got it. Win10 was trying to upload updates.

Attachments

• DSCN0686.JPG
    DSCN0686.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN0687.JPG
    DSCN0687.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Half GP Harness.JPG
    Half GP Harness.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 412x429x28385Thermostat_top.JPG.pagespeed.ic.D-n5Ur8V8A.jpg
    412x429x28385Thermostat_top.JPG.pagespeed.ic.D-n5Ur8V8A.jpg