The IDI genius's needed for transmission question

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I would like to know the normal operating temp for a auto transmission and what kind of pressure it puts on the lines and hoses. Also if it changes very much when under a load or not.
I have looked all over the place and I keep getting conflicting info so I came to the IDI genius poolto get the real answer.
Also is it possible to put a temp sensor in the rear end like I had on my peterbuilt 379. thx

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The main thing with the trans temp is to keep it under 220-230 sustained with normal fluid, some of the new (synthetics) can take higher temps, but the ATF breaks down when it gets hot.
Yes it will vary with load.
I'm not sure about line pressure.
And yes it is possible to put a temp sensor in the diff, it goes in the cover, and there are some covers made with a temp probe bung already installed.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck runs about 175 unloaded and have seen 210 in the summer towing weighing in at 15k.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Install the temp gage in the pressure check port, on the drivers side just ahead of the shifting lever, there is a pipe plug there. Depending on the ambient temp, say 80*, most will run a temp around 180* to 190* With straight ATF, keep the temp not any higher than 230*, using full synthetic ATF the temp can run as hi as 360* for short periods of time. If pulling loads of any weight, an auxilliary cooler should be used in series with the radiator cooler. To properly flush/change the trans fluid, refer to the artical in the tech section. As far as the trans pressure is concerned, only the lines going/return have very low pressure in them, providing there is no restriction in them. The internal trans pressure will very depending on wether any mods have been done to an E4OD, like a tugger kit install. That mod raises the pressure and also increases the volumn internally. All the fluid that runs thru the aux cooler is used only for lubrication and cooling when returning.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
okay that works thanks. I am going to install a 3 gauge pod with temp for trans, rear end & psi for my air bags When i get a chance so I am getting all the info now for my notes i keep in the truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online