Technical question regarding 7.3 idit injectors/heads

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha you guys are making me want to climb into a hole and hide, I do have one more question though, I live in the country and not many people deal with the idi's out here, so I cannot find a shop local with the timing light that times the ip, how much am I gonna have to spend on one, I can get a ignition timing light but not the adapter for this truck, what's a good deal on one?

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I rent the kent moore J 33300 timing meters for $70.00 and I pay the shipping to you. You pay the shipping back to me when your done.I have done this for the members here for some time or I can sell you one that's garanteed to work with the tools needed to time your engine or any one else s for $250.00. If you look at ebay now there is a pump turning tool listed for $229.00 which is way too much when Jason here makes that tool for $40.00 and its a fabulous tool. The kent moore meters are simple to use and they break down the degrees of timing into a tenth of a degree.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be utterly grateful if you would do that, would I be able to rent one at an orielly or advance auto, I really truelly appreciate you offering to go out on a limb and trust me that much, if I could find a place here to rent it first, I'll go that route so you wouldn't have to put your trust in a stranger, but that is really an offer that means A LOT to me. Thank you, and I will be ordering the parts this weekend, I have had to wait for two weeks so far, just some big bills have had to go out to keep the house going round. I'll be thinking its Christmas morning when I finally get my truck back up and running, lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall is probably hitting the keyboard with hot big fingers right now, but I don't see him viewing this post. I'll answer for him, if I may Gary.
NO you can't rent a "timing meter" for an IDI from Azone, Advance, Pep Boys, CarQest, or O'Rielly, they don't even know what that is. They'll say, sure can, what price "timing light" would you like to buy.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol thanks OldBull, that's got me laughing about the renting at the parts store, trying to fix a hot tub right now, looking for the flux capacitor lol. I can't say it any more simpler than, I'm glad I became a member of this site, everyone here is so helpful, and I am positive that there isn't a question about these trucks that I could ask and not get an answer. I really do appreciate everyone.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Marty. This forum is composed from many walks of life driving these reliable trucks. In my 17,000 plus posts I know I have answered the same questions more than a thousand times but I understand new members need help. I'm not bothered helping. I have driven many hundreds of miles helping members install water pumps and radiaters on days when the temps were 114 degrees. No big deal. I understand mistakes because I'm human. When I was installing my pistons on the rods and in the engine I did it wrong. The rods were backwards but lucky for me I saw this at the bottom end and fixed it. I didn't run my engine with a piston in backwards and blow a head gasket because of it like a long ago member did. That got some laughs but it was all in fun.. Not one posting was derogatory to the owner of that engine. Things happen and we move on. What burns my ass is a person coming here after they have been ripped off by a scammer on ebay. This forum understands the need for profit but not to the point of ripping another person off. There have been attemps but they got fixed quickly. This is a powerful forum that offers free help every second of the day or nite no matter what day it is. I personally am rarely offline for very long of a time. I do this of the knowledge I'm helping someone like Ford should be doing. I just don't get paid for it like they do or they did. Sadly nobody wants to work on these simple engines any longer. So this forum stepped up to the plate and is hitting them out of the park. We have a member that installed a 6.9 in an F150 stepside with a ZF 5 speed trans. That truck got 29.5 mpg driving home from the 2009 rally with not even having the timing checked. It was a used engine drop in the father and son team did in Pa. Then trying to leagelly getting tags on it was a mess of a different color with Pa DOT... We wont go there now....

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This picture helped a lot, my harmonic balancer was aftermarket and wasn't for sure where to line the mark up, but the fuel pump cam lobe and the holes in the cam gear helped me put the gear in position and I was able to find the y. Thanks for the help and advice on everything.