superduty turbo

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello this is my first post but I have been reading alot about these IDI's. I recently bought a 94 Superduty 4x4 t-tag dump with a non turbo 7.3 and a 5 speed . It wouldn't cold start and I replaced the batterys and glow plugs after reading on here. My question is I know that the 99 and up superduty turbos put out to much boost to keep the heads on , but couldn't they be set up with the waste gate to dump off at 10psi. so as not to overboost on these engines ? I woud think you could buy all the parts on ebay or a junk yard.It would be alot cheaper than a new kit from Banks ,ATS or Hypermax . If I'am wrong please correct me.;Sweet

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about putting a 99 style turbo on your 94 IDI, you can make the adjustments so it doesn't overboost the IDI engine - but that is not going to be a cheap route to turbo your truck. The way the turbo mounts on the 99 psd is totally different than an IDI turbo setup, all the donor parts you could find off the 99 won't help - it won't bolt up. If you do your own fabrication, you could set it up for cheaper than buying a new IDI kit - it would just take time.

discbrks

Reaction score
Not sure abut the wastegate part, but engineering all the brackets and exh. piping may be the biggest problem.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its very fabrication intensive, so if you're a really good fabricator and don't mind getting your hands dirty and having the truck down for awhile this is not a bad idea. When we say fabrication we mean you're going to have to find a way to either mount the thing remotely or make your own pedestal to mount in the valley pan and drainback the oil. Also you'll have to find some way to create a sealed pressure chamber on the intake and route the boost to it and a way to get the final exhaust to the exhaust pipe. Its a lot of work, but Flatlander mounted it remotely for his compound turbo setup and Woodie over at TDS fabricated his own turbo system for an IDI from a 99-up turbo like you are thinking of. I think you may find that the overboost issue is not as big a worry as all the fabrication, neither Woodie nor Flatlander saw a lot of boost until Flatlander put the Moose Pump on.....

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this is good info ,the turbo pedstal was what i really didn't know about . as far as manifolds and up-pipes I figured the superduty parts would work ,mabey not . Probably just going to watch the for sale sections and ebay for a complete turbo system , But it was just a thought. Thanks ;Sweet Guys

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
15 psi or so is fine on these engines no more sustained I have seen 22 psi on one but it was quick thing not sustained. His truck is still alive.

See my thread for more info.