Superduper BRAIN FART.....insulation style!!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well some may know I help my friend whom owns Viking insulation blow insulation into attics.

I stopped by his house on Sunday to say hi and he shows me this RIGID insulation bat made of Roxul

http://www.roxul.com/

He took an oxy acetylene torch to it and let it burn away, it just scorched a ********* mark but not burn through...this was direct flame contact.

So there I am in bed at bout 03:00 Hrs and voila:love: brain fart extrordinare I tell ya!:hail

Why not take that rigid product, cut it carefully and make panels that fit around the HVAC box when I swap cabs, as well .....hmmm...does this ***** bend at all??? If so what about removing the stock firewall insulation and making a custom barrier of this stuff, then cover that in nice diamond tuf aluminum blanket.????

Then I call Scotty...we talk, he's got access to pipe insulation...hmm...OK let me see what my Turbo X over and downpipe is and get back to you...how about wrapping my mainifolds...sure theres blanket for that he says...hmmm...

Ok looks like play time all small bits of product he can save from jobs he does....what a fat deal!

Woot...

Him and I are going to work on some firewall stuff. I'll try and get video of the torch on the stuff to show it...

Hoping this shites as good as I think it may be...

Al

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROXUL is my life, well insulation is - and how funny I just was at a Roxul sponsored lecture last week. Yes its fireproof, its made of rocks and it has a lot of uses. Right now I am specifying it for under concrete slabs and on top of flat roofs.

If you want to blow your mind do a search for Aerogel insulation, its made in RI. $$$$ but if you want to insulate piping or maybe firewalls it may really work. Aerogel started as a high heat pipe insulation that has recently moved into building trades. Aerogel has an incredible r-value for its thickness so it will work better in tight spots than the thicker Roxul

The hardest thing I see about using Roxul is its durability in a tough environment, their pipe wrap is hearty but not sure if its the best application - i suppose you can use metal wrap ties to hold it in place.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ROXUL is my life, well insulation is - and how funny I just was at a Roxul sponsored lecture last week. Yes its fireproof, its made of rocks and it has a lot of uses. Right now I am specifying it for under concrete slabs and on top of flat roofs.

If you want to blow your mind do a search for Aerogel insulation, its made in RI. $$$$ but if you want to insulate piping or maybe firewalls it may really work. Aerogel started as a high heat pipe insulation that has recently moved into building trades. Aerogel has an incredible r-value for its thickness so it will work better in tight spots than the thicker Roxul

The hardest thing I see about using Roxul is its durability in a tough environment, their pipe wrap is hearty but not sure if its the best application - i suppose you can use metal wrap ties to hold it in place.

I'll check out the Aerogel, however I can get the Roxul cheap as he can just hand me the odd piece he has left over :D

I'm just looking to keep heat in the turbo setup and away from Cab and HVAC

Like I mentioned was a huge brain fart cause I have no idea if it will work or not LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Al: That stuff looks real good for insulating. I've got some insulation that was used on the Space Orbitor. It is/was Mfg. in Bucyrus, OH. Just got one box of it as it didn't meet the thermal requirements and was rejected. Told the cost was $800 per box. It will stand 2100 degree temp. I used some on my 90 F350 on the air intake, lost pics on Webshots, I do use it on my two snowmobile exhaust. The stuff looks almost like the glass wool they blow in, comes about 2" thick and 18" wide. I'll send you some if your Roxul don't work out. A pic of it wouldn't show anything.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Al: That stuff looks real good for insulating. I've got some insulation that was used on the Space Orbitor. It is/was Mfg. in Bucyrus, OH. Just got one box of it as it didn't meet the thermal requirements and was rejected. Told the cost was $800 per box. It will stand 2100 degree temp. I used some on my 90 F350 on the air intake, lost pics on Webshots, I do use it on my two snowmobile exhaust. The stuff looks almost like the glass wool they blow in, comes about 2" thick and 18" wide. I'll send you some if your Roxul don't work out. A pic of it wouldn't show anything.

OMG that would be incredible even to have one piece to install on the truck, I could then say I AM BUILDING A ROCKET! LOL

Seriously though the Roxul is about an inch thick but darn it would be sweet for NASA stuff.

Just sayin

Al

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al: PM me your addy and I'll send you a piece. Tell me what size you need.